View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
So, you were asked to do a job, and you are deciding to say **** it? It aint worth it?

Maybe there is something on there that is important. And maybe you are one of the few people that she trusts or knows that can do it. So ask for some lunch money ($20) and diagnose the damn thing.

I am not a certified tech by ANY means, but if someone gives me a comp to check out I WILL fix it or at least figure out what is wrong. Yeah so what. I am typing this up on a socket 939 machine with 4GB of RAM and a 6800 GS. What the hell is THAT supposed to mean? This computer that I am on has been up and running since 2007 and I aint about to shelve it any time soon. Machines that are old have the BEST memories (get it? ). When I was working for the city once I found two machines on the side of the road. I picked them both up and put them in the back of my city truck, then later on I took them home and started exploring. One was an e-machine and one was a pentium 3, but they both had some funny things on them. Now of course they are in the front office about to be zapped into NIX zombies...

Yeah I dunno, maybe it is just me, I like to break machines and loot their info but as a tech I see everything as a challenge and if you don't WANT to fix it, then give it over to someone that DOES want to fix it... (PM sent)

At least figure out the issue and giver HER the decision.

No, there's nothing there that's important. I've already been given blanket permission to wipe everything.

Thing is, I've also been told that there is no money available for hardware repairs, so it really doesn't matter what's wrong: she's not going to buy replacement parts. I'm not a nice enough guy to pay for replacement hardware for her out of my own pocket, and the only hardware that I have that would (potentially) be useful to her is currently installed in my desktop. Everything else is AGP & SDRAM. Never mind the fact that it's all AMD-based and not LGA775 compatible no matter what.

So, no matter what's wrong with it, if it's hardware based, it ain't getting fixed by anyone. At least it's clean though, so when she does have money either I or someone else will have an easier time dealing with it.

If it was just software issues, no problem. I can't even get it to boot from a Ubuntu live CD or USB stick. Might even be the motherboard, I'm not really sure. Pressing DEL for BIOS setup didn't do anything. Is it because it crashed before that stage, or is it because the USB port wasn't working and it never got the DEL keystroke? Who knows. Doesn't matter, because she's not buying replacement parts, and I'm not the hard-luck-sister PC repair charity.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif