View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Being Tech Support for Friends Sucks

Girl at work sent her computer home with me to take a look at, because she thinks it's full of viruses. When she told me about it ahead of time, she said it was a pretty badass gaming computer.

I said sure, I'd take a look at it. So she brought it in to me.

She told me she'd brought it at the very end of the day. When it had been sitting in her car all day long. With the temperatures like they've been.

I brought it home, and today I opened it up.

Looked like I'd opened up a pillow. I had to break out the air compressor to get rid of all the dust bunnies. Took literally 15 minutes out in the driveway with 120 psi air to get the insides more or less cleaned out. It was 10 minutes before I could even see the ASUS logo on the motherboard. The CPU cooler was packed solid with dust. Some of the case fans were seized up. There was still dust coming out of it when I gave up on the air compressor, but Jesus it was better than it started off.

Anyway. I took it back inside, plugged up a monitor / keyboard / mouse / power / ethernet ... and all it did was go in a cycle with the POST. Just on, POST, reset, POST, reset, POST.

Blah.

Looks like it's an ASUS P5N-D motherboard and an EVGA 8800GTX. Don't know what else is in there. It's really not worth fixing, though.

I hate being the one that's smart with computers.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif