View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guisan View Post
Better don't do that, it can cause cracks in the trigger assembly housing. First the front screw dead tight and second the tang screw.

When playing with the tang screw is reducing your group size there is something wrong with the bedding at the front end of the receiver. To adjust the front end height of the receiver the Swiss use shims that come in four thickness sizes and they are inside the stock at the spot where the front receiver screw enters. Adjusting is done by taking out or adding shims.

Remember that these rifles are 60 or more years old and so is the wood of the stocks, wood tends to work and deform over the years and that makes a re-adjustment pretty normal.
Okay. I was worried about cracking the stock with a loose rear screw.

I did something a bit different a few weeks ago. I put a 0.005" shim under the tang as the action rocked back a little when the screws were tightened down without it and the muzzle raised off of the front of the stock. With the shim, it was seated and the groups were better but still not what I was expecting. I tried a 0.010" shim and it did not improve and even got a little worse.

Perhaps I'll try to work with the front shim instead. I have various thicknesses of brass I can try.

BTW - This is what I was going to try. http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/pierre/accurizing.html

Last edited by kouye; 04-04-2013 at 7:50 AM..