View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 1:35 PM
CGSSA Leader

Oh, there certainly is a little bit of variation. Any org that does five thousand individual shoots over the last few years is going to find some spread. (I work on the digest of the After Action Reports for lessons learned -- I've read them all.)

The Shoot Boss will always try to read the class, try to work with the strengths and weaknesses of a given range, etc. But there are minimum requirements. At a given shoot we may slow down the round count if everyone is nearly out of ammo, spend more time on a given point of instruction, spend more time grinding on squares to get good groups rather than burn more AQT's, that kind of thing. And sometimes it goes the other way and we get to do a little extra.

I had a class once where all of my students were pretty advanced and actually knew their history, so we met standards quickly and got to do additional stuff. Instead of Three Strikes we talked about Ticonderoga, Bunker Hill, the Battle of New York, etc. We spent more time on sling use, alternate field positions, wind and distance estimation than usual. And we got in about 15 AQTs and had a 66% Rifleman rate. It was a good shoot.

But the only situation where we will actually sacrifice part of our course of instruction is for safety reasons. There is no danger of any given shoot turning into an all-history class. That's what we have Libertyseeds for! (www.libertyseed.org)

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.