Thread: Welcome
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 5:52 PM
Banned

The area you are referring to is Giant Rock and I believe shooting has been restricted there now.

Donnel, after almost getting the long standing 29 Palms Pistol & Rifle Club shut down by his attempt to make personnal profit on the non-profit range's property, did for a short period operate his own illegally constructed range. The City shut him down after neighbors complained.

For anyone that wants to shoot in the 29 Palms area the aforementioned 29 Palms Pistol & Rifle Club is a screaming deal. $50 gets a year's membership and there are no per-use fees. I have actually met members that drive up from Orange County to use the range due to the low cost.

We have a covered firing bench on the pistol side, with target holders at 7, 10, 25 & 50 yards. The main rifle line has concrete shooting benches under a shade structure, with target holders at 50, 100, 200, 300 & 400 yards. There are fingers at varying distances out to 500 yards. A secondary line has targets out at IIRC 1000 yards.

We also have an active Cowboy Town and skeet range

There is a range house with toilet facilities, though you need to double check the water prior to use since it is supplied from a tank and can run dry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat0331 View Post
I was a Marksmanship Instructor stationed at the Rifle Range during the 2009 Regional. I wish I had the time and lived in an area where I could do some long distance shooting. When I was stationed at MCAGCC, I did a lot of shooting off of Indian Trail Rd. When Indian Trail meets Lear continue down the dirt road until it basically ends. There is a hill top, and at the base of the hill there is a huge rock with a bunch of stuff that has been shot to hell. If the wind isn't acting up, you can shoot 500 yards plus, but you have to watch out for the occasional off road vehicle. If my memory serves me correctly, the guy that owns Donnell's Shooting Supply was planning on opening a range in 29, but I don't know if it actually happened.