View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 12:17 AM

Leaving service is not an issue. That was covered in a 2010 update that eliminated the pension requirement. The requirement is that you separate in -Good Standing-

I was looking for the case law that stated agencies do not have to provide retirement credentials. Can't find it. However, it may have been a legal interpretation I read a while back that said you are SOOL with no recourse. Also, you're not alone. Maybe, you can convince your Chief to stamp your current card "Retired" or make some other concession - 20 years is a long time and you should be rewarded for your service.

5. The department I retired from will not give me retirement credentials, what can I do?

This is a question we are encountering far too frequently, and regrettably there is no clear guidance that can be provided. LEOSA does not bestow either an explicit right to obtain the required identification or a federal remedy for a state agency's failure to issue one. Such refusal is foolish policy but it is a political issue, not a legal one.

See this link:

http://le.nra.org/leosa/frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Safety Rule #1:
1) Treat all tweakers like they are loaded