View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 1:59 PM

That's an interesting point, Mitch, that having to go back to the constituency with "I did nothing to stop constitutional carry" is a leverage point for the antis. My initial reaction (and post to this thread) was

Quote:
My guess is the Illinois policy will look something like "Any person with a police-documented near-death experience at the hands of another, plus a minimum 1200 hours of firearms training, will be allowed to apply for an Illinois concealed weapons permit."
but those "in the know" (Gene, Gray, Brandon, etc.) believe the legislature will have the guts to write a shall-issue bill. Like you, I'll believe it when I see it, but I'm also cautiously optimistic.

ETA: Thought about it a bit more, and it will never be the legislature taking the blame for constitutional carry, it would be the governor. The legislature crafts a shall-issue bill, submits it to the governor, who vetoes it. It's then on the governor, not the legislature, that constitutional carry is now the law of the land (as far as Illinois is concerned).

Last edited by ebourqui; 12-13-2012 at 2:13 PM..