View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconnerley View Post
Following up on what Eljay said, Appleseed is not a combat training program. We offer instruction in the fundamentals of traditional rifle marksmanship.

Regarding the Viking Tactics' sling, I have not seen one of those on the line and I have not used one myself. After watching the video, I don't see any reason that it would not work for Appleseed, though I would avoid mounting it so that the sling swivel is on the side of the rifle. This will tend to pull the rifle to the side when the sling is properly tensioned.

The benefit of the Viking sling looks like it would be faster to get into a loop sling with it, once you have it set up. However, for use at an Appleseed event, there would be no advantage over the GI sling.

The benefit of the GI sling is that it costs less than $10, is infinitely adjustable, rugged and reliable. They work great for Appleseed, for other applications YMMV.
For anyone with doubts in using a VTAC sling or similar in Appleseed, I just want to say I was able to use it with little issue. Appleseed instructors let me work with it just fine. I would heed what I bolded above and I've moved the front attachment point a little bit.

I will have to add that it's not the optimal sling, but if you already have one like I did it can and will work.
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X