View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssick92 View Post
Well, the nearest range that rents handguns wouldn't let me shoot it until I turn 21 but after holding the M&P, Beretta 92fs, Springfield XD, and Glock 17, I am leaning towards the 92fs, and the fact that it has a .22 conversion is a huge plus.
In my opinion, a full size handgun is your best bet for starting out. Something that is easy and fun to shoot at the range, but also handles home defense. Set aside a few extra bucks for the "extras" you need- range bag, earmuffs, glasses, etc and something secure to store it in at home.

A 92fs is a great first gun, and you won't "outgrow" it. You won't outgrow a .22 either, but after your first outing at the range you'll be wanting something bigger and I don't know if your finances will allow that. The 92 has some heft so its easy to shoot and the recoil is subdued. Magazines, parts, and accessories are readily available and interchangeable with the Military version M9.

9mm is easier to find at a reasonable price than .22 right now. I've had luck finding it for around .28 per round lately. Somebody had 9mm in stock a couple days ago for $250/1000 but I missed it.

Keep your eyes open for a deal on Winchester white box or similiar for range practice, and step up for a few boxes of Cor-bon for home defense. You'll be set for a while.