View Single Post
Old 03-18-2014, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasbrg View Post
Except I didn't do that.
I was mostly joking about that which is why I included the smiley. But I was referring to:
Quote:
Being prepared is being prepared. Preparing is preparing.
---

Quote:
How does the Hebrews verse confirm your point? It's 180 degrees opposed to your point. Here it is again (for a third time):

The Hebrews verse even says "holy fear" to emphasize that Noah was not some automata.
My point that you said (paraphrasing) "he didn't know for certain a flood was coming and had belief or faith". My point is that he had belief or faith in God (the flood was irrelevant) and did as he was commanded. He didn't KNOW if the God's threat was real but it's irrelevant because he believed "God exists and is commanding me to x,y,z".

I made the parallel to Abraham which is also an example of "holy fear" and which Hebrews mentioned shortly after the discussion of Noah.

Quote:
Say what? What supplies did Noah have?
??? A big *** (ol') boat and food for himself, his family and all the animals...

Quote:
Noah was NOT God's son. He did NOT have to obey God. He was not COMPELLED to obey God. Disobedience of God was normal for the era, which is what motivated God's (extreme) course of action. God selected Noah before he informed him of the flood. God knew Noah would obey, but Noah himself was a free agent. This is the key to my argument - we are all free agents. Noah was a free agent; we are free agents. We all act based on what we think is best. We may not all be as "righteous" as Noah, I know I'm not, but our actions are in other ways identical. We are taking steps to prepare for a threat, or threats, that the population as a whole does not perceive. Noah received some basic instructions, true, but we are also receiving some instructions, right? This forum, for example, and other sources. My own problem with most preppers is that they tend not to be especially imaginative (Noah again) and mostly parrot what they hear from other preppers.

If you insist on making a distinction between Noah and the rest of us preppers, I would say it would be in the scale of his preps and his relationship with God. Otherwise I see no other difference between what he did and what we are doing.

I disagree with some of this but the problem of omniscience and free will goes down a pretty deep rabbit hole that I don't believe is required to prove either of our points.

But let's put it this way. My son has free will. If I told him to run to the store and buy water, he's just following my orders. He has free will to disobey me, although he may fear punishment from me if he does so.

Assuming he uses his own free will to follow my orders, does that make him a "prepper"? He didn't decide what is necessary or why or take anything into consideration but he WILL be prepared when everything is said and done.

If you're answer to the bolded part is "Yes", we agree Noah is "a prepper" but we disagree on what "a prepper" typically is.