View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
I wasn't aware that the statute in Question covered both open and concealed carry. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since all forms of carry are prohibited.
Remember that the Constitution does not permit carry. It prevents the government from denying the right. You do not require a law to carry...the government must pass laws against carry. Subtle twist with a sizable impact.

The Supreme Court has (apparently) suggested that historical understanding was that one form of carry (open) was acceptable, while another (concealed) was not. They appear to have read this history to say that a state may choose a manner of carry, but not extinguish all forms of it. At least, that is what our team is arguing. So absent a law specifying a manner of carry, there is nothing wrong with either.

Maryland is in the same boat. We don't have a manner of choice specified.

Quote:
Illinois is not California or Maryland. We can hold.
I am not so worried about Maryland. Outside of the central corridor, guns are pretty common and not despised. I got Dem lawmakers who like to shoot with me.

Didn't mean to speak to Illinois social policy as any type of expert. I made some assumptions about the state, but admit that my experience is mostly with family in the heart of Chicago.

But even in Maryland, I advise our members not to poke the beast. Carry is for defense, not for activism. If OC makes sense for them, then do it. But don't do it just to prove they can. If you poke enough, anything can happen.

Last edited by Patrick-2; 12-13-2012 at 4:14 PM..