View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Default (CGF) Lake County Sheriff's Office Changes Policy and Upholds Law

All,

I'll be posting this over in the Lake County section, but I got this message from Sheriff Rivero:

The new LCSO Policy Manual is not yet complete. I expected to have it available for review by County Counsel next week and published shortly thereafter but the person working on it was injured. I expect him back next week.

In any event, the CCW policy is a s follows; our CCW application process consist of filing out the standard DOJ forms, submitting the Live Scan result (DOJ approval), a short interview with me and my Patrol Commander and the range qualification. All other previous requirements have been removed. As far as a reason for the CCW permit, personal protection suffices.

Frank Rivero

Sheriff Rivero was one of the sheriff's who worked with me to make sure their rules are in compiance with the law. Sheriff Mitchell, now forcibly retired by the voters of Lake County, made many statements and claims about his opponent making it more difficult to get a license to carry.

Sheriff Mitchell also repeatedly lied in debates about getting a "CalGuns" endorsement, when CGF cannot endorse and CalGuns.net is purely a web forum. He alsounlawfully and illegally denied a Canadian citizen and permanent resident alien of the United States a license to carry, and in a phone conversation, flat out told me that he would only issue Mr. Adams his permit under a injunctive court order against this, despite People v. Rappard and despite understanding what Rappard meant. Sheriff Mitchell also illegally required training before accepting the license application and required 2 years worth of residency before being able to apply, despite Salute.

This should be an example of how the compliance initiative works. Regardless of NRA endorsement or not, we will work with ANY sheriff who wants to get their policies in compliance with the law, and also drive home the point that self defense should be good cause. Before, Mitchell did not issue purely for self defense either from reports that I'm getting.

Sheriff Rivero deserves a round of applause for keeping his promises, for proving all of the haters wrong, and doing the right thing. I just wish numerous other sheriff's would follow his example.

Hat's off to you, Sheriff!