View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoMan View Post
About that basic thing, you guys realize in basic training spec ops get sent to different training divisions then everyone else right?
This is actually not true, and I am not sure where you heard it. I can only speak for the Army, but I went through Basic and Infantry School with many guys who had both Ranger contracts and 18X contracts (18X is a Special Forces contract) They have to go through the same basic training as everyone else, then Infantry School, and Airborne before SOCOM blows money on them putting them through the pipeline. This weeds out tons of non-hackers before they even see an instructor.

From the same standpoint, while serving in both Light and Airborne Infantry outfits I have had soldiers try out and be accepted for both the 75th Ranger Regiment, and the Special Forces Pipeline. There is a reason that all SF soldiers are sergeants or above - they want experienced men who know what they are doing, not kids straight out of high school. Some guys make it to SF on their initial contract, but a lot more come from Infantry, Cav, or even Engineer outfits, where they excel, and then try out and get picked up for the pipeline when they have some dirt on their boots. Regardless, everyone goes through the same basic training, because the skills and tactics they learn there are just that - BASIC. Everything else in the service builds on them. This is how it works in the Army, and from what I understand, the AF too, for the guys going through their PJ and CC pipeline. I cannot imagine that the Marines let those with MARSOC or Recon contracts (do they even enlist guys with these contracts?) skip out on the same boot camp that they revere above any other type of training (apparently, if you read the above posts, above Ranger School, BUDs, and the SFQ course.) and run off to go do their own thing in SOCOM land before they "Earn the title of Marine"

Can't speak to the Navy though... maybe wannabe SEALs are kept apart.

Last edited by jmsenk; 12-05-2013 at 6:37 PM..