View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
you seem to have left out 'go no go' gauges.

As few and far between as I'd switch out my savage barrel(308)- it's a lot cheaper for me to have Randall do it.

Consider I bought that rifle sometime around 2004 ish... (when accu trigger was new) The barrel was just removed for the first time 4 days ago by Randall to fit a brake.

This winter, I'll rebarrel, and have Randall move the brake over to the new barrel...

If I buy the wrench/vice/go-no go gauges... At this rate, it'll take at least 10 yrs or longer to pay for itself.... Save myself the hassle and just have Randall do it, and do it right, while I drink his beer.

I normally do a lot of work on my own guns- I've done a lot of mods... But the cost of all the tools to do it right, and how often it needs to be done...- Why bother?
I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't sure of what they're doing, but a fullsized case makes a perfect go/no go gauge. Insert the sized case in the chamber, screw on to the action until you hear the "click" of the extractors, tighten barrel nut. I've done this multiple times for caliber changes with no issues, but again, no go gauges are available for under 30 bucks.

I have no issue with people using a gunsmith, but there are many guys who would rather do their own work, and some of those guys aren't aware of the alternatives available to the standard "Buy a Remington and then spend big bucks on action/bolt work, and then more bucks on barrel changes, and more bucks on bedding" etc., etc, not to mention having to decide how to deal with wanting two different calibers.

In the scenario that the OP describes, of needing a multi-purpose rifle, with different calibers implied, the Savage, with it's ease of caliber changes and OOB accuracy wins hands down.