View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 9:29 AM

Using a chamfering tool to remove a crimp can work and it can be done safely and effectively; however, it can also remove too much brass and weaken or ruin the case.

There's nothing wrong with that method when done correctly, but using a proper primer pocket reamer or swager is more foolproof in making sure you don't remove too much brass...or just as importantly, not enough brass.

There are some that would argue that a loader shouldn't be loading if he doesn't use enough caution to make sure he doesn't "bubba" the primer pocket using a chamfering tool, but my argument is that everyone can and will make a mistake at one time in their loading lifetime.

As for speed, if you haven't used the Dillon Super Swager, then you really don't know how much faster and easier it is than "touching it to yo the countersink for a moment". Try the super swager and you will be impressed. I've used the countersink method, the Lyman Primer Pocket Reamer method and the Super Swager, and the super swager rocks!

There is also a method on YouTube to make the super swager even faster by using a board and bands to create an "auto eject" feature. It's simple, safe and effective.

Use any method that works for you and your loading needs, but be open minded as well, you might find a method on Calguns that may improve or speed up your loading. There is a lot of diverse experience on Calguns. I've change my loading methods several times after reading something on the board and trying it out.

Main issue is to be safe, have fun, and crank out some outstanding ammo while making good friends and connections in the Calguns board. Enjoy the weekend!