View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
IMO, there's no way this case won't be an issue in the election. Regardless of when it is heard/orals, the decision is most likely to be issued in June -- right before the Democratic (July 13 to 16, 2020) and Repub (August 24 to 27, 2020) national conventions. That will bring the focus of the election on to federal courts, esp SCOTUS, Trump's judicial picks and the 2nd A/gun control. It will energize both the antis and our side. Last time, the MSM and Liberals didn't think he'd beat Hillary. This time the fight will be far nastier, far more expensive and far more important (more SCOTUS justices likely to retire, esp Liberal, than this presidential term).

JMO
No big argument with you there.

Do note that I wrote "bigger factor". Orals and/or a decision would inflate the issue.

But even that would not be the Roberts' direct reason to delay. He will want to keep the timing away from the election for the good of the court more than for the good of the country (it would not surprise me if he figures that whatever is good for the court IS good for the country).

If he schedules orals in February or March it will mean that the SCOTUS will not be quite as much of an issue in the election. I'm pretty sure Roberts will believe this is a good thing.

Last edited by OleCuss; 07-19-2019 at 10:58 AM..