View Single Post
Old 06-10-2014, 6:02 PM

Not to sound like a dick either, but munitions cleanup while in the States is a little different than being on patrol looking for insurgents aiming to do bodily harm to you or your brothers / sisters. There's a level of unpredictability that comes with engaging the enemy.

Not saying you don't have balls volunteering to clean up old chemical munitions, its just not combat. Hell, pretty sure the kids joining now going into the applicable MOS/AFSC walk into chambers with live chemicals as a confidence builder before they even reach their first duty station. Some of the really old timers have the mustard dots from being exposed as part of training before it was decontaminated.

But back to the topic, while we are all veterans and have made sacrifices, some should hold the distinction of being a true combat veteran. Putting OIF and OEF ribbon decals on your truck because you were on a MOB in Iraqistan doesn't make you a combat vet. I work on an AFB and see these decals on vehicles and to be honest, I don't believe the majority of them have ever fired a weapon in anger. I hate to sound like I'm calling people fakes, but the majority of my branch never sees combat.