View Single Post
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Review of the Bushnell 1-4x24mm Throw Down PCL , updated from range

Alright guys, here is a preliminary review, more will follow, and some pictures of the new PCL from Bushnell.
Starting it off, the Throw Down PCL is a new optic in the AR Optics series from Bushnell that has more features than you would ever think to find in a scope at this price point. 30mm tube with about 60’’ of internal travel at 100 yards, roughly 60 ‘shooters’ MOA of travel, Illuminated reticle with 11 positions on the rheostat, Bushnell’s new BTR-1 reticle, First Focal Plane reticle, fully multicoated optics, folding power control lever, .1 mil click adjustments, roughly 9.5’’ in length, less than $300 retail!!
Usually a 30mm tube at this magnification would give you much more adjustment. I counted it out and I got about 11 full revolutions at 60 .1 mil clicks per revolution with 45 clicks left on the last. Looking like around 700 +/- clicks, so you will have about 70’’ of travel at 100 yards, so not bad, especially because of the reticle’s holdover ability. Every click was solid, audible, and tactile. Horizontal indicators to show elevation travel on the turret as well. Not lockable however.
Optics were clear and bright. Obviously you’re not getting Vortex PST 50mm brightness, but compared to the PST 1-4x24mm, it is on the same playing field in regards to the brightness. I didn’t notice much spherical aberration and looking at a brick wall with white mortar about 100 yards away, no real noticeable chromatic aberration.
The BTR-1 reticle works well. Due to the scope being FFP, at 1x the reticle size reminds me that of an 1.5x Acog with horseshoe reticle, easy to pick up but not be too busy. Also, at 1x I could use my front iron with minimal noticed distortion. As the magnification was dialed up, the reticles drop features became more clear and easy to pick up. 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yard drops designed for the 223. Now, as in any drop reticle, this feature follows a generic trajectory so there will be variances. If you’re a true shooter, range time and dope cure all. As for the illumination, I kept it at 3-4 indoors, but outdoors on the higher end. Illumination was crisp and no bleeding out. Didn’t put off any glare. A very well designed and engineered illuminated reticle with plenty of positions on the rheostat (11). One feature I do like on an illuminated reticle that isn’t preset is a off position between each setting, however, for a sub $300 scope, I’m not complaining. No battery life report as of yet, I’ll run it out myself to verify and report back. If you don’t like an illuminated reticle? Leave it off.
I like the PCL, power control lever. In various shooting positions it is comfortable and easy to get to. Muscle memory was quick with it and it’s easy to feel what magnification setting you are at if you are more selective. Folds down and does not inhibit the vision in the non-dominant eye if shooting with both eyes open. A rubber o-ring on the lever makes sure to not have a metal on metal contact when throwing the lever back down. Now, I’ve never used a power control lever before this scope, never really had the need. But, like my Magpul BAD lever, it’s one of those nice features that I can certainly enjoy that has its place and it very useful.
Eye relief is listed at about 3.6’’ and I would call that about right. I have a DD 6 position tube with a Magpul ACS stock and I run it at position 4 usually, so you can see where head placement to scope placement is for me at least. Mounted in a Burris PEPR and my Magpul MBUS rear fits perfectly under it.

This is prelim guys, I’ll have a full review up soon after I shoot it. Feel free to ask any questions!
Conclusion before shooting is this is a very reasonable and useable product. Bushnell is giving us a package that has the desirable features such as FFP, .1 mil clicks, drop reticle, 30mm tube, illuminated reticle, and compact. Big Picture, all this for under a $300 retail!

Trevor B

20130401_142220.jpg

20130401_142230.jpg

20130401_142325.jpg

20130401_142344.jpg

20130401_142355.jpg

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!

Last edited by OpticsPlanet; 05-14-2013 at 7:56 AM..