View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 9:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JimMarch View Post
Here's how it will go...gunnies to grabbers:

"You guys want at least training in place before 180 days are up? Fine. Please us! We want no more FOID. We want Chicago permanently out of the gun control biz (strong preemption). We want unlimited cutlery carry to go with our CCWs. We want full reciprocity with anything that even smells like another CCW permit. We want lock-boxes for our boomthings at any of the few places we'll let you disarm us. We want you all to do the Funky Chicken Dance in Daley Plaza. You think we're kidding? You're going to have to give us a LOT before we'll concede to training requirements and costs over $10. Because all we have to do is sit here, twiddle our thumbs and fart in your general direction and in 180 days we get constitutional carry and one hell of a party in downtown Chi-town baby. Leave your gangbanger friends behind if you know what's good for 'em."

THAT is where we're at here.
That is the best possible scenario and I really hope you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Norris View Post
Not going to happen.

IL has 90 days to appeal to SCOTUS. IIRC, they have 14 days to motion for an en banc hearing. The clock is running.

If they are going to stall, they will make the en banc motion, shortly. Since this is a matter of striking a State law (a serious matter, for the courts), I suspect they will be granted that motion.

Should the CA7 take up the case en banc, the panel's decision will be removed. I'm assuming that a new briefing schedule will be issued... That will take up another 6 months or so. Then we will wait for a decision from the CA7. Could be another year from now.

Then, should this decision affirm the panels original decision, IL could stall further by appealing to the SCOTUS. That's another year to year and a half wait... June of 2015.

All during this time, the Law will remain in effect, as a stay will be granted at each and every step of the way.
I have no doubt that this is how it will play out unless SCOTUS takes a case before then. In other words carry in Chicago is likely to be a minimum of 2-1/2 years away - assuming good health for the Heller 5. What's sort of scary is that the case is so perfect that SCOTUS may elect to reject any of the appeals currently working the system while they watch how this one plays out.

Of course the legislature could moot the need for an appeal by passing Jim's proposal before the state files for en banc but that would require lightening fast movement.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 12-12-2012 at 9:52 AM..