View Single Post
Old 05-15-2020, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTheClay View Post
Ok so I’ve decided to keep the possums. Thanks for the advice

What is the best air rifle for rats! Has to be arthritis friendly so a 50 lb loader is too much
I'd seriously look at a Benjamin Marauder. For rats, a .177 would work. Personally I'd upsize the caliber to a .22 to offer more pest control capability. The .22 would also work on ground squirrels, etc.

Keep in mind that any decent air rifle you get will last for many years. Today it may be rats but tomorrow, who knows. The Marauder is a very popular rifle, well made and kind of like a Glock or Remington 700 in terms of popularity and post-purchase performance tweaks. At 50 yards, it's a very accurate rifle yet virtually silent so you won't scare your neighbors.

I'm a definite fan of pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air rifles. Yes, you either have to pump them up to fill the bottle, or invest in a larger refilling bottle that (with the Marauder) will last for many months before the bottle needs refilling. Still, it's worth it. Hand pumping sucks and springers just aren't on par with PCP rifles.

If you are looking at the Marauder, check out Joe Branacoto's website. He's also a very good source for air tanks, etc. Scroll down on the front page.