View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfin View Post
Good reminder especially for us rural folks. I just completed installing a fire hydrant near my house. I dug a 200' trench from my water tanks up the hill to a spot near the house and put in a 3" pipe. The hydrant has a standard 2.5" fitting for use by me or the fire department. It's connected to 6,000 gallons of stored water. I have a gas powered water pump, nozzles, adapters etc. and several hundred feet of 1.5 inch fire hose to reach all around my house.

Each weak, I spend a couple hours thinning trees and cutting brush in the 100 foot zone around the house to reduce fuel load and chance of fire spread. Once I'm satisfied with the 100' zone, I'll push out a little further for good measure. There are lots of videos on YouTube explaining the concept of "Fire Wise" preparation of the landscape around your home to improve your chances of surviving a wildfire.

I found a good deal on some Nomex clothing for my own personal protection should I need to defend my home during a fire. I don't expect to get any help during a wildfire and defending my home may be the safest course of action to take as it is quite possible that my escape routes could be cut off if a fire starts nearby.

Getting cut off from escape is the mane reason I am making every effort to make my home a survivable safe refuge area. I have a metal roof, concrete "Hardie Plank" siding and fine screened roof vents to keep embers out of the attic. My next big project is to build a fire resistive structure to enclose my water tanks but that will have to come after my brush clearing and thinning operation is completed. Right now, fire damage to my water tanks are my biggest unsolved vulnerability.

You might to consider adding sprinklers to your water tanks.I
You can also buy Phoschek home kits.