Thread: Kings
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 3:22 PM

My wife just went to the Kings County Sheriff's office to submit her CCW application. She was told
  • Appointment needed, can't just drop off standard DOJ application - OK, no problem.
  • Three letters of character reference needed - not a problem, but illegal.
  • Must complete a CCW class ahead of time - not a problem, but I don't believe this is OK either.
  • Fee of $129 paid in advance - not a problem, but I didn't think this was allowed. When I got my CCW through the PD, they collected the fee only after reviewing my application and approving it.
  • Letter of rejection from Hanford Police Department - not OK, illegal.
  • She needs to bring the gun(s) to be listed on the permit to the appointment - OK, but kind of weird.

She's signed up to take the CCW course, which is no big deal. It'll be needed eventually, and The Range in Fresno puts on a good course that's worth going to in its own right. Time and money for training is always time and money well spent.

She's asked three appropriate people to write letters for her. We know this is an illegal requirement, but for the moment it seems easier to jump through the hoops.

As for the letter of rejection from the police department, she's just going to write her own letter documenting our experience there. Which was, to give an exact quote, "don't bother applying" because they don't approve applications for "personal defense" as good cause.

I'm a little upset by the fact that the Sheriff's office is at best ignorant of the laws they're entrusted to uphold, and at worst deliberately flaunting them. Perhaps some kind but stern words from CGF would help bring their CCW policies more in line with state law?

Last edited by pgg; 08-02-2011 at 3:26 PM..