View Single Post
Old 05-08-2013, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Since you already have a G17, just run in it the Challenge or USPSA. Ok, ports are just vectored holes in the barrel, there is a slight reduction in muzzle flip but not recoil, and the exit velocity is reduced. You can run ported barrels with Walmart ammo at around 1,100 fps. A compensator is designed to reduce recoil and muzzle flip thru a series of precisely machined chambers that cause the gun to recoil straight back, but it takes hot handloads to make them run along with spring weight tuning. Open 9mm major has a 115 gr bullet going over 1,435 fps to make the floor. A Glock running USPSA Major 9mm Open has a very reduced run life due to the very high velocities and you pretty much have to load new brass each time. That's why you see most people running STI's. In fact if I ran the loads of the Open STI Major 9mm guys I squad with thru my Open G17L it would risk blowing it up.

The difference between USPSA is the power floor is 165,000 for major, and for the Challenge is is 120, which makes it really tricky to get the comp working.

Also everyone thinks shooting a dot is really cool, but it takes about 5,000 first shots to get even close too comfortable with it.

The easiest way to understand the Challenge is that the steel only needs to be hit, it doesn't have to fall, where in USPSA the steel must fall, and there is a difference in scoring between minor and major power floors.

Thank you very much for taking your time to help a noob!!! Very much appreciated Just one last question and that being: I understand compensators have a much greater affect on Major Loads due to the slow release powders and the gas dispersion, but then why do Steel Challenge pro's use compensators for their minor loads? I have read that compensators really do help even with minor loads (On Brian Enos) and that is why they are used on Steel Guns. If this is so... since I already have so much invested in my glock already, wouldn't it be better to just invest in the compensator as well?