View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 9:55 AM

I think the 223 is a great round. I also think the AR platform is a fun rifle to shoot. But in my opinion it is not a good hunting rifle. That is not to say you can't hunt with the rifle, it's just why would you want to? I know that what I think may not be right for everyone else but I have rifles I specificly shoot paper with, ones I shoot steel with, ones I shoot clay with, and then there are the rifles I hunt with!

I was always told and believe in the saying, "the right tool for the job".

Like I said before you can make the AR 15 in 223 work. But you are going on a hunt where you are planning on taking a smaller younger boar in hopes to make a well placed shot to drop you dinner, then there is something that you may want to consider. Those on this board may be able to explain this better then me but in my experience hunting has tought me many of things one primaraly is that things don't always go to plan! You may not see that small young tasty hog, or it may not give you that perfect broadside shot and if its quartering towards you then you want some better penetration then any 223 would offer hogs are tough.

Like I said I think it is doable to take a hog with a 223 but its not ideal. When I hunt for boar here in California it is mostly in between the pinnacles and king city at a friends ranch I use my old faithful 30/30 (has always got the job done) or my 270 win. Also don't get me wrong more is not always better, you do want to make sure there is meat to eat.

No matter what you decide good luck with your hunt and have a great time.