View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparral View Post
I second the OP as well as Racerx944. I got a .510 DTC back when I was hoping to move to Davis/Woodland/Esparto area and would be 40 minutes from the Sac Valley range. Mr Kubota set me up with an RCBS Ammomaster and the dies and some fireformed brass. Its nowhere near 8.00 a round unless you are buying new ammo for something like .460 Steyr or .416 Barratt maybe.

Even with .460 Steyr you can get the 525 gr Harlow solids for two bucks apiece. You could probably form the brass from .50BMG cheaper than 5.00 a case if you had the dies handy. Two piece dies run around 290.00 and Opticsplanet of all places had a set a few weeks ago.

Thing is, you gotta get out and use the damn things and not let them starve to death inside the safe. That's harder to do in SoCal when the only range within an hour's drive of coastal LA county is Angeles which maxes out at 600 yds.

For the optic on the .510 I got a used Vortex Viper 4-16 for a couple hundred bucks. The reticle hasn't detached yet after a couple hundred rounds and two owners.
Yep... I can make .460 or .416 brass from BMG, but it's nowhere as easy as the DTC stuff. There aren't any 'plinker' type surplus bullets for them either so it's like making match ammo whenever you want to shoot them
Lehigh Bullets are nice and they are less expensive than AAA or Barrett's offerings.