View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 5:54 PM

I am trying to sort out how to handle this sort of situation: I was at the range today, training with my defensive handguns. I have randomly loaded snap caps (typically 1-2 per magazine). The whole point of my drills with snap caps is to react fast assuming a defensive situation: tap, rack, bang.

Worst case if I had a hang fire, it might go off when I tap (hand gun is kept safely pointed down-range), or when racking. Once ejecting and not in the barrel, what's to happen to the round?

I believe I've actually had this scenario occur about a month ago. I was doing 5 target drills (top left, top right, middle left, middle right, bottom target twice, then working my back up), and somewhere in the middle I had the brass casing exploding all over me. I believe the round went down range (there were some 45s being shot in the nearby lanes - which is good for my drills having to deal with nearby firing, but bad to diagnose this situation). However, I'm not 100% certain. I may have tapped and racked.

What are the scenarios in which I could get brass casing exploding and hitting me? Normally if it was in the barrel and the slide was closed, I don't see how that would occur. I was firing in rapid succession (including dropping the magazine and loading more), so I'm really not certain what did occur.

This occurred with my Glock 26.

Oh, and back to my drills, I don't think I'd change a thing at this point. My priority is defensive shooting. However, I really should be situationally aware, and if not in a real life defensive situation, and not shooting with snap caps, I should keep it downrange for 30 seconds and just sit tight.

--
Edit: Had another thought - what if I'd had a stove pipe and the slide hadn't closed all the way? Could the next round have been loaded into the chamber and been fired? If it could, that would explain getting splattered with brass.

Last edited by Jason95357; 01-11-2014 at 6:03 PM..