View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
One can string annual orders together while a reservist.

I've done it, but there are more con's than pro's.

So I effectively have nearly 3 years active while serving as an intel analyst while a reserve while in the USA. It entirely depends on your unit, and the active component they support. So I was lucky in that regard.

The catch is orders will never cross over fiscal years, and the money for the next year will never be ready before the current one is up. So you basically go unemployed from October till when the government allows the new budget to start being spent.

Also, the reserves only lets you do 36 months on orders (deployment time doesn't count, and restarts the clock). Then you have to take 12 months off every other year. Otherwise one could string together an entire active duty career as a reserve never having to move units, and stay at the lower ranks forever.

So after this deployment I might get one set of orders for several more months, and then that's it. I'll have used up all my 36 months time, and I'll go back into the civilian sector.

I don't know if business knows it or not, but an intel MOS completely transfers over to the civilian business sector in the form of Business Analyst, and Marketing Analyst. You take data, compile it into something and make a business decision based on it. You also use a lot of the same computer systems and databases. For the most part, intelligence databases are commercial products altered for intel use.

The TS/SCI thing isn't worth as much as one might think. The whole working with any data, compiling it into a usable format, and presenting it in a professional setting to your bosses so they can make a decision is the value of the MOS. The clearance is merely because of the subject matter of the information.
Agree with you. TS//SCI jobs will pay better though. All the 100k,200k,300k jobs are TS//SCI (usually poly too).

I've never seen business analysts postings that were looking for that experience.. they generally seem to be asking for specific finance experience and some certs I haven't heard of. To each their own but I would much rather just do military intel than marketing analysis... and I do collections as well anyways.

edit: From what I've seen Army has a different set of rules regarding those orders, not sure if it's the difference between the titles authorizing the orders or what, I'm blurry on the details now. The Navy wait is 6 months IIRC after 36 months minimum, but the Navy has different ways to write orders.. AT, ADT, ADSW that you can get around the 36 month rule.

Last edited by Gawernator; 08-21-2014 at 5:25 AM..