Thread: New to guns
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 3:34 PM

Welcome snap-dragon. Guy talking here, so consider the source, but you've come to the right place.

You'll find that serious shooters usually have no bias towards women. Women tend to pick up shooting much quicker than most men do. Some of the best pistol shooters I have ever seen are women.

I can't pretend to know what in store bias is like. But I can say, as a man, if you don't know exactly what you are looking for/have your card out (especially in the current panic environment) it's very hard to get attention at a store. Gun stores weren't exactly known for excellent customer service (more like hobby shop vibe) before the panic. Things are much worse now. Most stores have customer service bad enough to make you never shop there if you were shopping for anything other than a firearm, and there were more retail options. Gun stores are few and far between. Owners know this, and have more business than they can handle, so they do not care if you take your business elsewhere.

You may run into those that talk down to you, or typical knuckle dragging Cro-Magnon testosterone types. If so just ignore. I know here in Norcal, there are several shops that have female employees. I'm sure there is a similar shop down south where they will treat you with respect.

It sounds like you've got the right plan. Invest in quality training with a good instructor, shoot a bunch of stuff, buy what works best for you.

If you are buying your first firearm, you'll find the following to generally be true:

For home defense, nothing beats remington 870 12 gauge shotgun.

If you are buying a handgun, you will here lot's of people say lot's of things. Generally:

- Revolvers are more accurate than semi automatic handguns
- The caliber that you should buy your handgun chambered in, is the one you can shoot accurately, that has cheap enough ammo to practice a lot with
- The gun you should choose is the one that fits your hand, and is easy for you to shoot accurately. Sometimes what 'feels good' and what you shoot well are two entirely different things.
- people will recommend certain brands that they love. Most modern handguns are generally reliable. Anything from CZ, Glock, Beretta, H&K, Springfield etc. should serve you well.

The ladies here are a great resource, they even got my wife to go out shooting with me (a miracle to be sure).

Happy Shooting,

-Freq

Last edited by Freq18Hz; 02-18-2013 at 3:41 PM..