View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 12:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnoyes View Post
So after 17 years of service, I got the official news that I am on orders to PCS to Irwin in May. My first thought was oh sh** my guns. I have been all over this forum trying to learn the California laws and how they apply to active duty Soldiers bringing guns to the state. I must say I knew it was bad, but I had no idea how bad it truly was.

My initial reaction was to say screw it and leave all my guns at my dad’s house in Texas since I'll be living on post anyways, but the more I consider it the more I want to bring everything I can legally bring to Irwin with me. I love to shoot and would rather join the fight with you guys than just give up and let California win. Having said all that after doing my research I am still somewhat confused as to what I can and can't do, especially based on the latest round of anti gun laws you guys are dealing with.

I know I can bring all my handguns with me and any mags with 10 rounds or less are good. Looks like my shotgun and hunting rifles are good as none of them have pistol grips or detachable magazines. And it appears that as a temporary active duty resident I have no requirement to register any of my guns with California, although assuming I live on post I will have to register them with the PMO.

So here are my questions: It appears that I may be able to bring my ARs with me assuming they are disassembled and not listed under A or B of the flowchart, and I never assemble them while in the state. Is this correct? It also appears I could bring high cap mags as well as long as they were disassembled as "parts kits". This would allow me to drive across the border to Nevada and assembly my stuff and then shoot. Is this correct or will it change with the parts kit law going into effect in January?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate this awesome resources that have been assembled on this forum.
First of all, thank you for your service.

The Calguns flow charts are your best reference.

For your handguns, also make sure that you don't have any semi-autos with threaded barrels, or anything similar to the Taurus Judge. Don't worry about the "Safe Handgun" roster. That only applies to weapons you purchase, from an FFL, while in the state.

So long as you're on active duty, there is no requirement to register your handguns with the state. If there is any possibility of your being charged with carrying a loaded, or concealed, weapon, then it may be advantageous to do so. A first time offense is a felony if the weapons are unregistered. Its only a misdemeanor if they are registered to you.

You should be aware of the "Military Assault Weapons Permit." It is technically possible for you to get a permit to bring an assault weapon into the state. The process is extremely cumbersome. You can find the details on the AG's website at: http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...s/mawpapp.pdf?

Don't bring in any semi-auto rifle, even if broken down into parts, if the weapon is listed as an "evil by name" assault weapon. The parts are fine. The receiver alone is still an assault weapon.

As for the magazines, please check out the various threads on "AB 48."