Thread: Kern
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 7:56 AM

Hi Everyone,

I am in the process of filling out my CCW app in Kern County. I know that Good Cause is the hot question. I saw in a post made several years ago that being an active outdoorsman/hunter/shooter was considered good cause here in Kern County. I just want to make sure I don't blow the GC statement, so I want to make sure that I do it right. I'm hoping someone here can help.

Is this still considered legitimate GC? I am seeking any input from someone that is an "every day joe" citizen that got an approval. I heard that Carl Sparks was recently on Inga's show and he allegedly said that Sheriff Youngblood pretty much rubber stamps CCW applications. I love Kern County for its conservative bent, but this sounds too good to be true. I am not former law enforcement, I am not a security guard, nor am I former military. I do have to travel for work, all over Kern County, and I carry thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars in electronic equipment when I travel. The issue with that is I work in the education system. I have no intention of carrying at any of the facilities I service, but I am concerned that working for the schools will result in a denial.

The other tack I was going to take was that I am an active outdoorsman. I also pursue archery, and I am in remote areas carrying expensive archery equipment, which could make me a target if someone wants to mug me. I also do unpaid side work for a private investigator, including witness interviews, accident scene photos, and surveillance. This is not my primary line of work, and I do it mainly as a favor to a person in another city to save them travel.

Which of these provides the best justification, and what level of documentation should I expect to provide?

Thanks in advance for all your help!