View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM

Default Update to what I have found on my own

I have continued to search out more information as to what is out there and am surprised at how difficult it is to find age requirements attached to any of the shooting sports, but anyway ...

Here is what I have found so far (and I will continue with updates if anyone here finds this info useful):
The biggest help was coming across this site ActionPistol.org which lists various USPSA, IDPA and Steel targets Clubs in Northern California.
From there I was able to find one that is closets to us, which just happens to be Solano Targetmasters and they have competitive shoots every 2nd Sunday of the month at the Yolo Sportsmen's Association in Davis.
In contacting their Club President about an age limit this is what he said:
Quote:
Hi Seth, I'm away from my computer so this will be a short note. I would suggest that you and your son come out to one of our matches and see the different equipment that everyone uses. There is no age limit in our sport, if you feel he is mature enough to handle a firearm he can compete. He would have to go through our class before he could be allowed to compete.
So for any of you young guys looking to compete in USPSA or IDPA (at least with the Solano Targetmasters) there isn't an age requirement to be able to compete. You only need to be mature enough behind a firearm to show proper control and safety and take their training course. And defiantly get out there and go to a match or two in person to see what it's like and talk to the folks involved.

This is a good start at least for us. I am going to take my son to the next shoot on the 13th so he can get more of an idea of what it's really like out there instead of just watching the competitions on Shooting USA.