View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 8:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I end up duck hunting alone quite a bit, sometime from a small boat in shallow water. My wife simply asks that I let her know where I'm going, when I expect to return, and how long after I don't return she should call for rescue. I simply take my gun, shells, maybe some water, maybe some TP, maybe a snack.

This comes from years of my climbing (rock and easy alpine) alone while we were dating.

I carry a cell phone, GPS (to mark interesting things, potential sites to revisit in the future, etc. I don't leave it on), a topo, a compass, headlamp and a first aid kit that includes basic first aid, some heavy duty pain killers, a small knife/scissors/tweezers, floss, ear plugs, space blanket bivy, 20 or so feet of 550 cord, flagging tape, small lighter, a few matches, a bit of TP and water tablets. My compass has a mirror on it and my wife (then girlfriend) long ago made a belt for me that uses a fastex type closure for the buckle that has a built-in whistle (I can remove the belt and the whistle side of the buckle one handed). Spare batteries too, at least for the headlamp. I've used most of these things at least once while climbing, hiking, backpacking or hunting (alone or with friends). My basic first aid kit is about the size of a 16 ounce water bottle, I don't remember how much it weighs.

If I'm hunting alone I carry a quick-clot with my first aid kit. If I'm climbing I'm usually in avalanche territory; if I'm by myself I don't carry an avy beacon, if I'm with friends I do. I wish someone would come up with a combination handheld GPS, PLB and avy beacon combination thing that was super light.

Last edited by NapalmCheese; 12-02-2013 at 8:55 PM..