Thread: Reloading 101
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
The square deal is the orphan child.
It only loads pistol cartridges and it uses funky dies.
Most people that have them have one dedicated to each cartridge and leave them setup.

Start looking at the 550 and 650.
Both work with rifle length cartridges and take normal dies.
The 550 is manual advance and can take a casefeeder for pistol cartridges only.
The 650 is auto advance (can also be run manual advance too) and will accept a casefeeder that fits pistol or rifle cartridges.
The 650 is a significant upgrade from the 550 for several reasons: auto advance, rifle casefeeder and powder check station.
The combination of auto advance and a powder check station makes it almost impossible to load a squib or double charge a case.
It's much easier to do that on a 550 if you are not watching what you are doing.

I whole-heartedly recommend starting with the 650.
The initial cost is higher, but the benefits far outweigh the costs.
I started with a 550 and now wish I had started with a 650.

I can tell you all about dillon presses as I own more than a couple.
One 450, three 550's, two 650's and two 1050's.
I've been reading up on Dillon's now. Where's the best place to buy? From a local shop or am I better off from a shop online? I'm planning to do lots of loading over time... is a 650 recommended for someone who hasn't done any reloading? I've been reading up about it with the Speer #14 book and of course will read the manual on the 650 and do like the fact that you mentioned it almost guarantees no squibs / double loads. I don't mind investing the money up front since I've already spend about $1000 on rounds in the past 2 months alone... I'll be recouping my investment in the next 12 months easy..not counting the money I'll make back by selling loads to my family / friends.