View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 4:26 PM

Ok, I know we're in somewhat uncharted territory here and I'm in no way trying to be cantankerous, but can someone provide some clarification for me?

Sheriffs CCWPolicyRev2 says:
Quote:
Phase One (to be completed by all applicants)
1. Complete and submit a Standard Application for License to Carry a Concealed Weapon (Cal DOJ form BOF4012). Do not include separate attachments for information requested within the application. Initial every page of the document.
2. Based on current law, and in the absence of any applicable exclusionary factors, self-defense or personal safety qualifies as sufficient “good cause” for the issuance of a license. However, if the law changes in any respect, we may require applicants to supplement the “good cause” statement in order to retain any CCW License that has been issued based on the law in place at the time the license was issued.
3. Submit three signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.
4. Submit proof of ownership and registration of each weapon to
license for concealment.
5. Submit two recent passport size photos (2” x 2”) of the applicant.
6. Complete Live Scan applicant fingerprinting for CCW application (DOJ
fees paid by applicant):http://www.scsheriff.com/Home/LiveSc...rprinting.aspx
or 454-3007 for more information.
and the DOJBOF4012 app says:

Quote:
1. Complete, read, and sign Sections 1 through 5, as directed. Use additional pages if more space is required.
2. Sections 6, 7, and 8 must be completed in the presence of an official of the licensing agency.
3. Review Section 7 and be prepared to answer these questions orally. Do not write anything in Section 7 unless specifically directed to do so by the licensing agency.
Does one put their "self-defense" good cause on the app when we turn it in or not? Line 2 intimates that you do, yet the DOJ form says it must be completed in the presence of an official.

Secondly, per Sheriff's Phase One, applicants are supposed to complete the Live scan. However, early reports are that applicants are being told NOT to do the Live Scans when turning in their apps and wait to be contacted for an interview. I'd really like to see a flow chart of the process at this point.

It just seems odd to me to not include one's reason for applying or providing one's Live Scan results upfront.
“To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying arm… is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.”

- Wilson vs. State