View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skisly View Post
Your pain is real.

I would say that about the time you get comfy, they will change the program.

I have zero intention of ever getting comfy with AutoCAD. It is an enemy, to be fought at every turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarovich View Post
So now you can opensource all sorts of gun parts for 3d printing

I could do that already with Inventor, which is MUCH better for that sort of thing. My day job occasionally involves getting stuff I've made with Inventor 3D printed, so I'm not unfamiliar with how to make that stuff happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
Some of my customers prefer products like SolidWorks. Perhaps try that one?

Nah, Solidworks is ... unpleasant as well. I've got probably 8,000 hours on Inventor (which is SW's main non-Dassault Systemes competitor) over the past 4 years, and it suits 99.9% of my needs perfectly. The situation I'm dealing with now is piping isos. Inventor will create FANTASTIC piping systems, no problem. The routed systems module does amazing work ... problem is, it won't do P&ID's or standard piping iso drawings. For that I need AutoCAD Plant 3D ... except that the stuff that I'm doing is all VERY non-standard, apparently, so it's not included in ACP3D's libraries of parts, so I can't make use of the relatively automated procedure for creating the iso drawings ... and that means I need to actually draw this crap from scratch.

Piss on AutoCAD. Inventor is supposedly their flagship design product, so why don't they have P&IDs / iso drawings available there? Oh, sure, it can generate a .PCF file for ISOGEN ... but you can't buy ISOGEN. You have to get it as an OEM component of another software package ... and AutoCAD Plant 3D - which includes the ISOGEN code - can't import .PCF files!!!!!

As much as I love Inventor (and I really do!), right now I'm really pissed at Autodesk.

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif

Last edited by Peter.Steele; 03-31-2013 at 1:22 PM..