View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 9:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Try turning off the heat right now and see how many layers of clothes that you have already are needed to keep warm.
That'll tell you to buy more of what you have or get better stuff.
Having said that, poly pro has always been my base layer year round. Dries fast and keeps body temps manageable.

Sent using 2 cans and a long string.
I layer...In cold weather, Base layer, (silk thermals), t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, down jacket, rain suit. I can go down to zero but more comfortable in the teens. Also, Wool socks and 8" leather hunting boots. Gaitors if deep snow.

I do 4 season camping. Love the cold.

I also have Coleman catalytic heaters, stoves and lanterns that generate heat.

I learned to make a Dakota Fire Pit as a child in Indian Guides, (I didn't like Boy Scouts).

Because I camp 4 seasons I'm now looking to complete my set with a pair of Down Pants...they run $300+.

IF I place my 40 degree bag inside my 20 degree bag I can deal with temps near zero, The Thermarest Dream Air Mattress with a r-6 value also helps, in addition to the tent footprint I also sometimes add a moving blanket...It all depends on how much snow is on the ground.

The nice thing about Down is it packs down really small, I've been upgrading lately to Dry Down.

As for gloves I have many types, liners, gloves, mittens...My favorite are cashmere lined leather.

Whatever you buy make sure it is quality. Quality costs more.

Check out Outdoor Gear Lab for tested equipment.