View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 7:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Just a fyi: During the first clean up (2012 IIRC), two of the rangers advised me the area on the right, at the bottom of the hill when you first drive in, is too close to the road for shooting. The rangers said the area was less than 150yrds. from the road and therefore not permitted.

Since I do not go there to shoot other than during the cleanups, I have no idea if they cited people for shooting there the last couple of years. I would surmise something occurred recently that prompted the signage being posted Saturday.
Interesting. I shot there over the years without issue, mainly because I drive a Mazda 3 with no clearance. The flat area is also perfect for targets stands. The large flat area is approx 100yds to the rocks, so great to dial in a scope. Well, that's that I guess.

From the BLM site:

Quote:
Where may I not shoot while on BLM lands?

- Do not shoot from or on a public road or highway, or from a motor vehicle. - Do not shoot in the direction of any road, hiking trail or parking area.
- Do not shoot across a road, trail, or wash.

Shooting is prohibited:

- within one mile of all campgrounds and developed recreation sites;
- within 150 yards (300 yards within Riverside County) of any man-made structure, home, barn, outbuilding, motor home, camper, or any inhabited area;
- or within 100 yards of any roadway. Since it is prohibited to drive that far off existing roads, you must be prepared to safely hike to your chosen shooting location.
So, not 150 yds, but still 100 yds, that area is a violation. I also find the last sentence is somewhat amusing considering we all drive in.

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."

KrisAnne Hall on Oregon

"I am sullied - no more" Col. Ted Westhusing