View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 11:01 AM

Ok, well, since I got called out, and there seems to be some confusion over whether or not I shoot "real rifles" with "real ammo", here's one of me during live fire with an M16A2.

To answer the questions ahead of time:

1) I am a civilian who worked with a local Army unit. This photo was taken a few years ago, just as the Army was switching over from BDUs to ACUs and not all of us had the new uniforms.

2) I had never shot a rifle before and so the Lieutenant Colonel thought it would be fun to throw me in with some ROTC cadets who were doing BRM on the range.

3) I did receive the required safety instruction/lessons before entering the range; but, I had to borrow the kevlar from the Major. The helmet was too large and it just fell down over my eyes and I couldn't see anything. The Major had asked me to not adjust the chin strap or suspension on the helmet as it was a pain in the butt to fix. So, I ended up either resting the rim of the helmet on the rear sight to hold it up or just shooting blind. When a cadet nearby realized what I was doing, he tried to help me by lifting up my helmet while I shot.

4) The LTC came back around later and asked if I had fun shooting. One of my Soliders turned to him and said, "Sir, she qualified on her first try." The LTC just stared at me for a few seconds, crickets chirping. LOL I think I scared everyone there that day.

I was also full of puncture wounds when I did that qualifier; but, that's another story for another day............