View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post

[COLOR="Red"]I use all kinds of tools for work and for hobbies. I have tens and tens of thousands in tools. I learned a very long time ago to never loan them to ANYONE. They have a tendency of not being returned. And... why would I need the tools for multiple guns? I only have one savage, and eventually, when I buy another bolt action, it's highly unlikely to be another savage. Why would I use the tools at the range? Because it's fun to rezero a scope every range trip?

From the tone of your post you don't shoot much and the tools would do little for you.On the other hand many enthusiast have multiple guns and friends with multiple guns and swapping Savage barrels is as difficult as swapping AR15 magazines.One has to figure were they fit in the above picture and make there decision based on that.

NO! It's out of spec, and it overworks the brass, and it lowers pressure meaning my rounds are slow. And if you want to say "it's fine"... It the clear and obvious point that you should not be working on guns.

So for four years it over worked your brass and You did nothing about it and I should not work on guns? Wow most of the guns I currently shoot have the entire shoulder moved forward from 0.045 - 0.120 inch to get me some extra velocity.If your not a reloader and you obviously are not and must use factory ammo the only shortcoming is lower velocity.You don't overwork factory brass with a single firing and small headspace issues.
If you are a reloader you don't lose any velocity at all you would actually gain velocity from the larger pressure vessel you have now created.

Costs less than the tools including go/no go and shipping. I wont need to mess with it for nearly a decade. I'd misplace those tools in ten years.

Again in your situation this is best for you.A guy who likes guns and makes weekly trips to the range would find it beneficial to do his own swaps.

Lastly, "guys that shoot alot....." Well, depends on the cartridge for one..... I shoot a 308 which should have an accurate barrel life of 6,000 + rounds. I takes a while to wear one out.
If someone shoots a 243 with a whopping 2,000 round barrel life, going through a barrel or even 2 per year, Consider the cost of the ammo, the cost of the barrels, in the first place..... those people have money to burn anyway. It wouldnt matter much if they bought the tools, (IF THEY KNEW HOW TO PROPERLY USE THEM WITH GAUGES) or pay a smith to do the barrel swap anyway- Such people usually arent shooting a savage in the first place, and require a smiths services. I'm pretty much the only competitor that shoots a savage at our competitions
The advantage to owning the tools is for guys who like to tinker with there guns.As this is the precision rifle club forum I would expect those posting would shoot more than the average gun owner.I happen to have a few Savage rifles and when I go to the range swapping out barrels from 243 to 260 or 308 and getting back on target is so minor as to not be noticed.I would imagine that on this forum that applies to most here.
I usually replace 4 barrels each year and none of them have ever had 2000 rounds on them let alone 6,000 rounds.Your in it to win it is my motto.I don't know you but if your stoning triggers and your concerned about brass being overworked putting a barrel on a Savage is not a big deal.
Lynn