View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 4:04 PM
ISPCD
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

The article was OK. He got it right about the money portion, the money from drug sales is what expanded gangs population and power the most.

BUT... for starters all those statistics are from 10+ years ago. I don't have any scientific stats but can tell you almost certainly that gang activity/participation/intensity is down down down since the 90's and early 2000's. Is it still a major problem, sure but don't use old statistics showing some of the worst times in our country as your evidence.

Another thing, they say "Gangs are a huge problem Congress ignores" and mayors, police etc. The reality is that fixing these problems as they relate to homicide is not as easy or black and white as many would like to believe. It's mostly a societal problem but the solutions provided are almost always incarceration, penalties, prohibitions and general outcasting etc. AND the flip side of using those homicide statistics to our favor is most people don't give a crap about the deceased or the murderer to the extent that they're killing their own. Outrage only occurs in general when it's a "non-player" who's killed.

If the whole argument was "criminals don't follow the law in the first place" and these proposals are incorrectly directed at "us law abiding non gang members", then yeah I'll agree with that.

Oh and completly wrong forum for this thread!?!?!?!