Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   PLEASE DELETE... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=756623)

vflores915 05-03-2013 11:15 PM

PLEASE DELETE...
 
Does anyone have any tips to passing the San Diego Sheriff's written exam? I have passed other law enforcement Erie exams, but I want to go into the Sheriff department, I failed it 6 months ago... Or study guides:confused:

BoJackUSMC 05-04-2013 9:08 AM

I took San Diego Sheriff's Department test last year and I passed the test.
You should study SAT study guide exam. SDSD written test consist of spelling, vocabulary, and reading. I think you should have to score higher than 48 T score for SDSD. It is not that difficult to get 50 T score.

fal_762x51 05-04-2013 11:12 AM

I took it also and passed. If you want to study, follow Bojack's advice.

Spoilerv2 05-09-2013 9:46 AM

Here's a pretest you can see the basic structure of the POST test. Follow the previous advice.
http://lib.post.ca.gov/publications/...acticeTest.pdf

Just-in 05-09-2013 10:16 AM

POST tests are pretty straight forward. I passed my first in the 50's, my last one I took was a 60.7 T score. Reading helps and try to expand your vocabulary the cloze test is not hard unless you over think it. Try reading some books. None in particular just something you enjoy to build your vocabulary, as well as become more familiar with punctuation. I'm not a big reader actually, I don't read for fun at all however reading in my English classes I noticed helped my score the second test I took. Between the time frame is read four books and written quite a few essays.

vflores915 05-10-2013 7:05 AM

Awesome, great tips guys...I will get on it ASAP:thumbsup:

Diskrete 05-10-2013 9:07 AM

I passed a few years back, it may have changed, however it was pretty straightforward and did remind me of taking the Sat's before college. Be detail oriented in the reading section, you want to answer those questions as some are usually multiple points. If its possible, read the questions first then scan the reading section for the answer and fully understand what it means before answering.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

gilbert619 05-10-2013 11:51 AM

I passed it recently, its just like any other test. Most the questions are straight forward but there is enough difficult questions to fail. It was a 4 part test that consisted of spelling, vocabulary and reading comprehension. Along with a fill in the blank portion, which I found (and the people I talk too) to be the most difficult part. You have to read three paragraphs with 40 words missing, those words have a certain number of characters needed specifically. Good Luck!

vflores915 06-19-2013 11:49 AM

Well, thanks for the tips guys....I just got back from taking the San Diego Sheriff's test.... Now I just need to wait for the results

TapRackBang 06-20-2013 10:15 PM

vflores915 a couple of suggestions if I may;

I went in for my Background check orientation for SDSD around the time you started this thread. If you do well on the test and are called in for orientation the background paperwork will require that you divulge many details/memories about your life that you may have forgotten or even suppressed. If you put it in the packet REMEMBER exactly what you wrote, because if you make it to the background check process they will ask you, and compare you answers not only to what they were able to dig up, but also to what you wrote. This was the biggest obstacle for me because I had purposefully forgotten about some things i've done. Also, be patient filling out the packet, take your time and do not skimp on the answers. If you'd like specifics on the types of questions on the packet feel free to PM me and i'll help as much as I can.

sbsdexp1 06-20-2013 10:33 PM

When I started testing I bought a book at barnes n noble called, " passing the police test for dummies." it helped me up my score. I didn't have a problem passing, just wanted to get a better score to look better.

POLICESTATE 06-20-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbsdexp1 (Post 11635532)
When I started testing I bought a book at barnes n noble called, " passing the police test for dummies." it helped me up my score. I didn't have a problem passing, just wanted to get a better score to look better.

I would check on Amazon for used versions, will save you a lot of $$

vflores915 06-21-2013 5:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TapRackBang (Post 11635413)
vflores915 a couple of suggestions if I may;

I went in for my Background check orientation for SDSD around the time you started this thread. If you do well on the test and are called in for orientation the background paperwork will require that you divulge many details/memories about your life that you may have forgotten or even suppressed. If you put it in the packet REMEMBER exactly what you wrote, because if you make it to the background check process they will ask you, and compare you answers not only to what they were able to dig up, but also to what you wrote. This was the biggest obstacle for me because I had purposefully forgotten about some things i've done. Also, be patient filling out the packet, take your time and do not skimp on the answers. If you'd like specifics on the types of questions on the packet feel free to PM me and i'll help as much as I can.

Thanks for the tips....I might pm you later...

Che762x39 06-21-2013 11:46 AM

JMHO ..

But if you can not pass a LEO written test maybe you should be in another job. My friend's daughter can not pass it and I found out it is written on a 9th grade level. Actually most college students are two years behind where they should be. In police work, you will be writing a lot. Just FYI :oji:

vflores915 06-21-2013 8:53 PM

I understand....as an Infantry Marine of 12 years, with numerous combat tours, CQB, PSD, and other instructor duties, LEO is where I can use my skills...I am positive that my expertise may be beneficial to any department... At least I can say that I have better qualifications than a college "english major" with a piece of paper saying he can write!
Who would you rather have your back? Me, who has been there and done as a combat vet, or someone who believes that Call of Duty during his or her college career gave them a good understanding of what they will be facing? Can you answer that question truthfully... I am good at what I do...besides, spell check, and grammar check for APA can help with my writing....that's easy! Not hesitating under fire, or having the courage to run towards gun shots....not going to learn that in any classroom... Just FYI:oji:

Che762x39 06-22-2013 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11642451)
I understand....as an Infantry Marine of 12 years, with numerous ...

At least I can say that I have better qualifications than a college "english major" with a piece of paper saying he can write!

Preaching to the choir, indeed.

Are you better than a ANGLICO Major? Or a Force Recon GySgt retiring with 20 years in? You will be writing everyday for 25 years, no free ride in law enforcement. Finish your 20 and then apply unless HYT is going to happen. Read the other threads, an Air Winger thinks he is more qualified than you. Do you know how many Captains and Lieutenants are applying for the same job you are? :oji:

Samuelx 06-22-2013 5:48 PM

It's great that you can kick ash and take names. The majority of my best partners have been prior military. That being said, you still have to be well rounded. You can't do this job with just a hammer... It's easy to compare yourself to some sissy la la, how about comparing yourself to those candidates who have the same or similar training and experience but who also have an excellent command of spoken and written English? Good luck testing, it will be good to have what you have to offer out there...

Ashgrove07 06-22-2013 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11642451)
I understand....as an Infantry Marine of 12 years, with numerous combat tours, CQB, PSD, and other instructor duties, LEO is where I can use my skills...I am positive that my expertise may be beneficial to any department... At least I can say that I have better qualifications than a college "english major" with a piece of paper saying he can write!
Who would you rather have your back? Me, who has been there and done as a combat vet, or someone who believes that Call of Duty during his or her college career gave them a good understanding of what they will be facing? Can you answer that question truthfully... I am good at what I do...besides, spell check, and grammar check for APA can help with my writing....that's easy! Not hesitating under fire, or having the courage to run towards gun shots....not going to learn that in any classroom... Just FYI:oji:

Wow! Sir by all means you dont sound cocky at all! Based on my training and experience....Lol. I've been with LASD for 7 years now, just letting you know that the person with that "english major" you're refering is gonna get that promotion, and will make a better impression during hiring time than those without a college degree, look at smaller agencies (Fullerton, Orange, Irvine, santa monica etc....I have buddies there, they look for people preferably with a degee). Your special forces training are respected and valuable in LE, but get hired first, do your time, set a goal, and be HUMBLE!

vflores915 06-23-2013 12:48 PM

Didn't mean to come out all cocky guys....just felt attacked by Che762x39.... It is just frustrating how many applicants are just....not what you expect to see out there....I tested along with guys showing up in hoodies, sandals, shorts, t-shirts, extremely obese, etc....it is just crappy that someone like that is considered more qualified based on a written exam....

BoJackUSMC 06-23-2013 1:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11652768)
Didn't mean to come out all cocky guys....just felt attacked by Che762x39.... It is just frustrating how many applicants are just....not what you expect to see out there....I tested along with guys showing up in hoodies, sandals, shorts, t-shirts, extremely obese, etc....it is just crappy that someone like that is considered more qualified based on a written exam....

Not to sound like jack *****, but if you are having difficult time passing your written test than this career might not be the best for you. You will be writing a lot in this career. You could either lose your job or keep your job base on your report writing skill. Good luck.

Tallship 06-24-2013 10:25 AM

BoJack is correct. We just had a new deputy kicked down to corrections because he was taking too long writing his reports.

Che762x39 06-24-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11652768)
Didn't mean to come out all cocky guys....just felt attacked by Che762x39.... It is just frustrating how many applicants are just....not what you expect to see out there....I tested along with guys showing up in hoodies, sandals, shorts, t-shirts, extremely obese, etc....it is just crappy that someone like that is considered more qualified based on a written exam....

No harm, no foul. People are unemployed and everyone thinks they can be a cop. Torrance Fire needs firemen and they only took applications for one day and only the first 1000 applications.

CHP took 10,000 applications in January for 100 positions.

Che762x39 06-24-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallship (Post 11658517)
BoJack is correct. We just had a new deputy kicked down to corrections because he was taking too long writing his reports.

Roger that. I had a trainee who could do 30 pullups and run 1 1/2 miles in 8:00 but I terminated his employment because a simple BFMV report can not take nine hours to do. :oji:

vflores915 06-26-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Che762x39 (Post 11659201)
No harm, no foul. People are unemployed and everyone thinks they can be a cop. Torrance Fire needs firemen and they only took applications for one day and only the first 1000 applications.

CHP took 10,000 applications in January for 100 positions.

I understand where you are coming from. I have taken a few college courses in order to improve on my writing skills. I agree that many people decide to go the LEO route simply because there is hiring being done. Like most of us military guys, we don't like to give up....that was the purpose of this thread...to seek advice on how to improve on what I am lacking.:cool:

Samuelx 06-26-2013 12:34 PM

Try googling "high school english worksheets" or "high school english topics" and see where your areas of lesser strength are...

CBR_rider 06-26-2013 4:25 PM

If you are struggling in the writing department, why don't you enroll in some kind of writing class(es) through a local adult school or junior college? Some colleges will even let you attend a small number of courses for free (but you don't get official credit/won't be turning in assignments unless professor agrees to do you a favor).

vflores915 06-26-2013 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBR_rider (Post 11677669)
If you are struggling in the writing department, why don't you enroll in some kind of writing class(es) through a local adult school or junior college? Some colleges will even let you attend a small number of courses for free (but you don't get official credit/won't be turning in assignments unless professor agrees to do you a favor).

Already finished 2 college courses since April...I did great, and learned a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion

Che762x39 06-26-2013 8:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11675629)
I understand where you are coming from. I have taken a few college courses in order to improve on my writing skills. I agree that many people decide to go the LEO route simply because there is hiring being done. Like most of us military guys, we don't like to give up....that was the purpose of this thread...to seek advice on how to improve on what I am lacking.:cool:

Roger that sir. I just posted San Bernardino PD is taking applications on July 1 only.

Good luck and do us proud, Semper Fi :oji:

StraightShot04 06-27-2013 9:28 PM

Damn! By your standards, a person like me has no chance of employment. No military background, still needing to further my college education. Lets hope hard work and persistence pays off. Although I have passed the written, I guess I'll find out when I graduate the academy next July. I'm sure they have a study guide. Run through it on a nightly basis as well as before the exam. I'm sure you'll get the idea of what the exam is about and should be able to pass it.

Good luck, and don't give up.

vflores915 07-12-2013 11:31 PM

Passed it with an 82 score:eek:

esy 07-13-2013 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11805662)
Passed it with an 82 score:eek:

That I am aware of and have heard is that max CA POST T-score is about a 77-78.

vflores915 07-13-2013 7:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esy (Post 11806132)
That I am aware of and have heard is that max CA POST T-score is about a 77-78.

How would they come up with a final score then? Because I couldn't use my veteran preference points...??? Does anyone know how they come up with this, how is it really scored? The email from the department doesn't give me other details
Your T-score is 57.30

Your final score is 82.8

StraightShot04 07-13-2013 10:17 AM

Your t-score is 57.30 and is what all agencies go by when applying. Maybe the 82.8 is where you rank for that agency?

Tacit Blue 07-13-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vflores915 (Post 11806548)
How would they come up with a final score then? Because I couldn't use my veteran preference points...??? Does anyone know how they come up with this, how is it really scored? The email from the department doesn't give me other details
Your T-score is 57.30

Your final score is 82.8

Flores,

I was told by a assistant Sheriff of SDSD for 32 years. That the dept doesn't consider people with a score of lower than 90 on the T score. However, seeing that your a veteran should help. However, hiring standards change all the time. May not be the case anymore.

Best of luck.

fabtechprerunner 07-13-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacit Blue (Post 11807789)
Flores,

I was told by a assistant Sheriff of SDSD for 32 years. That the dept doesn't consider people with a 90 or above on the T score. However, seeing that your a veteran should help. However, hiring standards change all the time. May not be the case anymore.

Best of luck.

Why would they not consider anyone with a score of 90 or above. Seems rediculous to me, its like saying they dont want intelligent cadidates ie: your to smart to be a cop.

Tacit Blue 07-13-2013 12:31 PM

errr I said that wrong lol I edited it. That sounded so wrong. They don't want anybody with a score of less than 90.

vflores915 07-13-2013 4:24 PM

Oh snap....well that is bad news then....:facepalm:

That sucks...back to square one I guess.:sleeping:

StraightShot04 07-13-2013 4:40 PM

Use your t-score to apply for other agencies. Most will accept a t-score of 45 or above.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.