Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   L.A. Chapter (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   Looking for NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructors & Volunteers (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=774385)

Ricky-Ray 06-06-2013 12:15 PM

Looking for NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructors & Volunteers

If you are a certified NRA Rifle or Pistol instructor and would like to help out at future Women On Target events please contact me via PM.

We have dates secured at Burro Canyon throughout the rest of the year but need instructors to help out.

Thank you.

***Update: I got some clarification and not every volunteer instructor has to be an NRA certified instructor. As long as we have at least one NRA certified instructor that will satisfy their requirements. So if you are not NRA certified but would still like to volunteer for Women on Target events please PM me or email me at raymond.chiu(at)cgssa.org

HappyCamper781 09-30-2013 6:43 PM

OK, my roomate JUST got his NRA Pistol Instructor rating, want me to try to put you in touch with him? Or just drop by the house on a weekend, :D

Ricky-Ray 10-01-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 (Post 12435859)
OK, my roomate JUST got his NRA Pistol Instructor rating, want me to try to put you in touch with him? Or just drop by the house on a weekend, :D

See if he's interested first.

Oh I also found out for WOT events not every instructor has to be a NRA certified instructor. According to them as long as we have at least one certified NRA instructor there then that satisfies their requirement.

Moto 10-01-2013 10:42 AM

Why does one have to be an NRA "certified"
Sorry for the stupid question.

Is it for legal reasons?
The reason I ask is that I have a customer who got his NRA instructor cert. We went to the range one day and I had to teach him a few pointers. Just saying.

RoundEye 10-01-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto (Post 12440574)
Why does one have to be an NRA "certified"
Sorry for the stupid question.

Is it for legal reasons?
The reason I ask is that I have a customer who got his NRA instructor cert. We went to the range one day and I had to teach him a few pointers. Just saying.

The reason that Ray is looking for NRA Certified Instructors is because we teach an NRA curriculum which all NRA Instructors are familiar/have experience with, and they will all teach students the same content, in the same way.

Prior to taking an NRA Instructor course there is a live fire assessment that one must pass (20 shots consecutively in an 8" circle at 45ft), so a student is expected to already know how to shoot, and the purpose of the course is really to teach them the "NRA Way", and how to teach students, as being able to shoot and being able to teach or two totally different things.

I hope that helps clear things up.

pmrsino 10-01-2013 1:50 PM

Planning to become an NRA instructor. Where is the closest place that teaches the course. I live near Glendale

Ricky-Ray 10-01-2013 2:08 PM

It's a bit of a drive but I would highly recommend TJ Johnston in Orange County.

I got my RSO certification from him, and he comes highly recommended.

http://www.allsafedefense.com/

HappyCamper781 10-01-2013 6:20 PM

Needed?

I'm not NRA certified, but I'm an experienced shooter willing to help out. If you need an assistant instructor / range detail pog, I'm your boy.

pmrsino 10-01-2013 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray (Post 12441995)
It's a bit of a drive but I would highly recommend TJ Johnston in Orange County.

Thanks. Will check that out. WoT will be ongoing year long anyway right?

Ricky-Ray 10-02-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCamper781 (Post 12443804)
I'm not NRA certified, but I'm an experienced shooter willing to help out. If you need an assistant instructor / range detail pog, I'm your boy.

We can always use a range pog :D

PM me your email and I'll add you to our email list.

Ricky-Ray 10-02-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmrsino (Post 12441879)
Planning to become an NRA instructor. Where is the closest place that teaches the course. I live near Glendale

If you wanna start helping out now just shoot me a PM with name and email address and we can get the ball rolling.

RFBIII 10-13-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray (Post 12448240)
If you wanna start helping out now just shoot me a PM with name and email address and we can get the ball rolling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray (Post 12441995)

While I'm sure that there are many qualified folks out there where you can obtain certification as an NRA instructor, I too would heartily recommend TJ. I have taken all of my instructor and RSO courses from him. He is my guru! Well worth the drive to Orange.

Notsoemoemo 01-03-2014 1:07 AM

What days are your events ussually on? And what are you looking for in somebody willing to help. Im not certified and a bit young but fairly experienced with handguns and have always achieved a great joy of teaching others safe handling techniques and how to improve on marksmanship.

Ricky-Ray 01-03-2014 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notsoemoemo (Post 13120354)
What days are your events ussually on? And what are you looking for in somebody willing to help. Im not certified and a bit young but fairly experienced with handguns and have always achieved a great joy of teaching others safe handling techniques and how to improve on marksmanship.

All of our clinics will either be on a Saturday or a Sunday depending on the month. Not every volunteer has to be a certified instructor. If you have the patience to teach new shooters we will help with the instruction process.

You can find our entire schedule here, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=873814

Notsoemoemo 01-04-2014 4:15 AM

I can only do saturdays. But am interested.

Ricky-Ray 01-04-2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notsoemoemo (Post 13128325)
I can only do saturdays. But am interested.

Sent you a PM.

Notsoemoemo 01-11-2014 8:03 PM

It was alot of fun guys and gals. You will definetly have me there on the next saturday course to help out again.

meyerlemony 01-20-2014 2:52 PM

This sounds like something I would be interested in, but I'm not a certified instructor. I AM interested in becoming an NRA Certified Instructor, but haven't had good luck navigating the website. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Off the Roster 01-20-2014 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyerlemony (Post 13247505)
This sounds like something I would be interested in, but I'm not a certified instructor. I AM interested in becoming an NRA Certified Instructor, but haven't had good luck navigating the website. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

select the instructor course in the right hand column then enter your location info at the bottom and a list of classes will be generated. not every counselor charges the same for their class so i advise checking out the price of each.

meyerlemony 01-20-2014 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickshooter (Post 13247547)
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

select the instructor course in the right hand column then enter your location info at the bottom and a list of classes will be generated. not every counselor charges the same for their class so i advise checking out the price of each.

Thanks!! Very helpful. I've been shooting 1-2x per week for the past year or so, taught by NRA certified ROs, but haven't taken the "basic" class in pistol or rifle. $100/class seems a bit steep to pre-qual on things I already know...hopefully I can get in touch with an instructor teaching the instructor certification courses and have them test me out.

Ricky-Ray 01-20-2014 4:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyerlemony (Post 13247505)

Not sure where you live but if your around LA/OC check out TJ Johnston from AllSafeDefense.

TJ is one of the best instructors around.

PM720 01-20-2014 9:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray (Post 13248448)
Not sure where you live but if your around LA/OC check out TJ Johnston from AllSafeDefense.

TJ is one of the best instructors around.

I will second this.

Scott

meyerlemony 07-14-2014 8:40 AM

checking back in - I passed my NRA Certified Pistol instructor course yesterday with TJ!

Glad I made the drive - it was about an hour for me but well worth it. I'm signed up for inside the home on July 26, and I'll do outside when he has room for me - since that is the CA CCW class and he's one of the only ones in OC teaching it, he is booked for MONTHS on that one. I think I'll do rifle in August.

Ricky-Ray 07-14-2014 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meyerlemony (Post 14468754)
checking back in - I passed my NRA Certified Pistol instructor course yesterday with TJ!

Glad I made the drive - it was about an hour for me but well worth it. I'm signed up for inside the home on July 26, and I'll do outside when he has room for me - since that is the CA CCW class and he's one of the only ones in OC teaching it, he is booked for MONTHS on that one. I think I'll do rifle in August.

PM Inbound.

Isn't TJ great.