Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Umarex Colt M16-22 misfired first round only (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=791747)

tiko 07-11-2013 10:48 PM

Umarex Colt M16-22 misfired first round only

My Colt M16 -22LR could not fire first round in every magazine (10 rd), from second rd to 10th rd is perfect, it happened for 500 rds of CCI minimag. The gunsmith at the range told me to change the hammer spring. But why it failed first round only, there is a good mark on the rim of the firing pin, and the depths are equal from 1st rd to 10th rd, but again first rd could not ignite, I appreciate your help.

mark501w 07-13-2013 7:04 AM

Did you try a different mag? Does it shoot the 1st round if you put in 9?

mark501w 07-13-2013 8:48 AM

That's a good thought also adjusting bolt tension my help.

tiko 07-13-2013 4:33 PM

Thank you, I have different mags in and the first round always failed ( 10, 9, 8 in mag does not matter), I sling shot to close the bolt, I will try to adjust the bolt tension next range time.

mark501w 07-13-2013 7:50 PM

Have you torn the upper completely down to clean it?

tiko 07-14-2013 7:20 PM

No, I have just opened it up to clean without remove the bolt. Today I check the hammer spring, still strong and make a deep mark to the rim of an empty 22 case.

NorCalDustin 07-14-2013 9:35 PM

I suspect the bolt isn't fully closing... If your sling-shotting it closed, you should clean the bolt AND next time try loading only 9 rounds into the mag and see what happens.

I would also pull the firing pin, check its spring, etc..

IMHO Your gunsmith isn't even close with the hammer spring idea.

G21Shooter 07-14-2013 10:49 PM

Sell that junk pile and get a CMMG .22 lr upper, and mil spec AR lower. You will be a happy camper with that set up.

ShadowX 07-14-2013 11:46 PM

I doubt its the trigger assembly. The trigger functions the same on each shot, so if only the first round has problem and its not the magazine, its obviously the bolt is not seated all the way. Its probably not your setscrew tension since that changes the spring pressure for the cycling of the loads. If you had problems with cycling, I would suspect the tension screw needs adjustment.

Sounds like your bolt is not seating properly when you drop it in. I suspect you need to thoroughly clean the bolt and upper by taking the entire thing apart and make sure its clean inside also. Make sure you take a look at the bolt and see if there are any burrs on the face and on the ejector. If there are any burrs, you need to clean them out if its affecting the seating of the bullet. If you just clean the outside, chances are, there are some gunk inside that is causing the problem. I thoroughly clean my Colt 22 each trip and take the whole upper assembly apart after 1000+ rounds. If you want to cheat a bit, you can get a can of brake or carb cleaner with a straw and shoot inside to remove some of the gunk without taking it apart. Just make sure to relube the assembly and drop it back in. So far, it functions flawlessly and feels like butter after I clean it.

I love my Colt Umarex 22 and it works flawlessly after thousands of rounds. Taking it apart can be a pain, but its part of taking care of your gun. Its not a big deal once you are used to it.

mark501w 07-15-2013 7:18 AM

I like mine got over 10,000 rds thru mine.It is picky on ammo.

Souske 07-15-2013 7:24 AM

I was happy with mine until it broke after 500 rounds.

Upon disassembly, i was dissapointed with the soda straw barrel, and overall cheap construction. Ended up exchanging it for a pratial refund and a 10/22

mark501w 07-15-2013 7:30 AM

Clean it good, maybe if you could add some tension just short of short strokeing the next rd to help push the bolt forward? When you get the receiver grp out of the gun look inside the upper to see if there looks like there is any unusual wear.

mark501w 07-15-2013 7:32 AM

You broke it!

mark501w 07-15-2013 7:36 AM

After you put a grand in a rifle then you can go to the PERMANENT thread above to get it running.

tiko 07-15-2013 8:55 PM

Thank you gents, I have a gut to pull apart and clean the bolt, look very carefully, it does have a burr! Hopefully next time at the range it will be perfect. Again thanks.

tiko 07-15-2013 9:06 PM

The videos are great!

ShadowX 07-15-2013 10:18 PM

Be extra careful when you split the upper apart. You must take the tension setscrew out first or you would have parts flying out. Make sure you don't loose the little pieces inside. Good luck and let us know if things work out well for you.

Twystd1 07-16-2013 10:22 PM

There is a trigger job video on Youtube for your gun.

I have the same gun as well. After watching the disassembly video on the web. I took the little 22 apart.
I polished everything moving part in the action. I also polished the sear as well.

My trigger is now at 4.1 Lbs and smooth as glass. That little pencil barreled gun is pretty dam accurate. You can also change the impact point by tightening or loosening the barrel a bit. That changes the tension of the barrel and can help you achieve slightly better accuracy with a given ammo. (did for me)

NOTE:
The gun is relatively easy to take apart and put back together.
Go after it. And have some fun.

If ya get stuck. PM me for a phone number.

T

mark501w 07-17-2013 6:21 AM

I stoned my trigger grp to help with weight. The springs in the trigger PAC will get away from you if your not careful, I took mine apart in a large zip lock bag.

ShadowX 07-17-2013 5:53 PM

I replaced that little spring near the trigger bottom with one from a pen (cut to length). It is much smoother than the original. I lapped all the surfaces and polished to a mirror finish. I also polished all the contact surfaces, especially the housing bearing surfaces that ride against the trigger mechanism. After all that additional work, the action is very smooth with absolutely no binding at all. The trigger was also reduced down to 4 lbs or so. I love the feel of the trigger and the gun now.

mark501w 07-18-2013 5:19 AM

Ishould have stoned the bearing surfaces, next time I have it apart. I'd really like a a trigger shoe.

tiko 07-18-2013 10:41 PM

My goal now is cleaning and make it reliable, after that I will try to do the trigger job. Thank you for your guidances.