-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (
-   -   Bayonet mount on CMMG Mk3 (

Epaphroditus 10-16-2013 5:15 PM

Bayonet mount on CMMG Mk3

See the little rail section where one would normally find a bayonet lug? I could swear I once found a little section of rail just like that that actually had a bayonet lug on it but now I can't find the danged thing!

In lieu of the possibly mythical rail with lug I may or may not have once seen how would one go about mounting a bayonet to the Mk3?

Why? Can't be king of the mall ninjas without a bayonet ... that and 'cause I wants it.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated!

Merc1138 10-16-2013 5:49 PM

You sure you didn't see a section of rail with a sling swivel stud?

kcheung2 10-16-2013 5:51 PM

Epaphroditus 10-16-2013 8:26 PM

Originally Posted by Merc1138 (Post 12556287)
You sure you didn't see a section of rail with a sling swivel stud?

Sling lugs mostly point down but this part pointed forward.

Epaphroditus 10-18-2013 10:38 AM

No mistaking the sling lug rail for a bayonet lug rail ...

Epaphroditus 10-19-2013 10:29 PM

My google-fu is still weak ...

Merc1138 10-20-2013 9:20 AM

You're probably not finding a section of rail with a bayonet lug, because it doesn't make much sense. Such a device would only work with a handguard of a very specific diameter(otherwise you'd never get the bayonet over the barrel), and a specific length in relation to the barrel(so the ring on the bayonet sits properly to support it). It would basically have to be manufacturer specific, which brings up the other problem of how rail sections sometimes have different mounting methods. Taking all of that into consideration, along with a lack of popularity for bayonet lugs in general(I think most people just don't care about the things), I really doubt you're ever going to find this part, and even then it might not actually work for you if you did find one.

Epaphroditus 10-20-2013 11:01 AM

Rail lug thingy aside ... any suggestions on how to mount a bayonet to the CMMG Mk3?

Maybe this thingy from Armalite?

Merc1138 10-20-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Epaphroditus (Post 12582356)
Rail lug thingy aside ... any suggestions on how to mount a bayonet to the CMMG Mk3?

Get a standard front sight post with a bayonet lug on it. Based on what CMMG is offering as a "MK3" on the link you provided, that means ditching the FF handguard, replacing the gas block, possibly having to cut the barrel down so the bayonet actually sits on the FH like it's supposed to, mounting a muzzle device that the bayonet can fit over, and likely using an extended FH pinned and welded depending on where the FSB ends up sitting.

Considering all of that, you might as well just get yourself a different upper altogether.

edit: No, that lug from armalite probably wouldn't work with those CMMG uppers, since the gas block is sitting under the handguard, and even if it extended past the handguard far enough you've still got the rest of the problems to deal with.

Epaphroditus 10-20-2013 3:42 PM

Yeah, that armalite part won't fit my gas block (there is room under the HG tho).

Maybe I should look for another gas block with a lug ...