Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Primary Arms = Sight Mark? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=692209)

Moto4Fun 01-30-2013 12:06 PM

Primary Arms = Sight Mark?

I have been looking into "budget" red dots. I know, save up and get something quality. Well, that is just not an option, and I want something to play with. I first wanted an open Eotech type sight, but due to lack of availability, I am considering a tube type. I keep seeing recommendations for Vortex and Primary Arms. The Vortex does not appeal to me for one reason: the blob of a control module hanging off the left side. Maybe I am over thinking it, but when shooting with both eyes open, that control module looks like it would interfere with your sight picture quite a bit. I would rather have a smaller tube with less "stuff" around the edges (particularly on the left side).

So after lots of looking around and reading reviews etc, I focused in on the Sight Mark and Primary Arms "Aimpoint Clones". These two look exactly the same to me. Is there a chance that these two units are the same with different branding, or are there internal differences that could make them significantly different units?

As always, all recommendations and advice welcome.

Moto4Fun 01-30-2013 3:40 PM

Nobody has any insight on this? I don't know enough about the clone market, but figured someone here might know something.

Matt P 01-30-2013 4:18 PM

The issue with these is more leaving them on and draining battery. They should hold a zero fine on your rifle. Either or.
Yes, there is not like there are hundreds of companies in china making those.
I have sold the sightmarks and they seem to hold up fine.
Sightmark does offer warranty.
Both could very well be from the same factory.

SoCalXD 01-30-2013 8:28 PM

Those side knobs really dont block much of your visual range when shooting. I have a good selection of Red dots, from EoTech to Primary Arms, and once they are mounted, shooting both eyes open, I dont even notice them when shooting steel.

Xanatos 01-30-2013 9:17 PM

If it helps at all I have a Sightmark 4-16x44 scope and it's pretty high quality for the price point.

dieselpower 01-30-2013 10:18 PM

If memory serves me correctly..and I will bet I am WRONG...LOL... someone did a test of a Sightmark and PA on AR15.com years ago when PA first hit the scene. I believe it was due to that long term review that PA started getting its positive rep.

I could be wrong, so please look it up. Do not take an old crazy man at his word. For all I know the PA could have been the one that failed...or it could be two totally different Aimpoint CompM2 clones.

Triad 02-05-2013 8:40 AM

I use one of PA's micro red dots on my patrol rifle.

Moto4Fun 02-05-2013 2:52 PM

Well, one of my limiting factors is the $100 gift card I have with Amazon. I haven't found the PA units available through Amazon.

dieselpower 02-05-2013 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto4Fun (Post 10435792)
Well, one of my limiting factors is the $100 gift card I have with Amazon. I haven't found the PA units available through Amazon.

be careful... I bet China will be cloning PAs soon...:chris:

BakoJ 02-11-2013 9:57 PM

Patrol rifle

I'm following this thread. Just curious, what caliber rifle? How often is it used and what's the battery life like on that scope?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triad (Post 10432285)
I use one of PA's micro red dots on my patrol rifle.

marsh1 02-12-2013 5:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto4Fun (Post 10435792)

We do not sell through Amazon.