Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   C&R FFL Application Form ATF 7CR - use the official BATFE PDF form! (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=175032)

Turbinator 04-19-2009 12:26 PM

C&R FFL Application Form ATF 7CR - use the official BATFE PDF form!

Update - BATFE not accepting my hacked up PDF C&R application form. I'll keep the original message here for archival purposes.

Instead, you should use the official BATFE C&R application form, found at this URL:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/instruc...rearms-license

This will work and will get you your C&R FFL!

Turby

Quote:

Folks,

Awhile back I asked if anyone had a softcopy C&R FFL application form. No one had one. So, I ordered a couple from the ATF in Texas, and 1 month later, I got the forms.

I then set about to scanning the form, then converting it using my copy of Adobe Acrobat to make the application "form compatible" on your PC. I then made sure that the user could save the form with the data typed in.

This will allow you to simply type in your application info, print this out, and send it in. To my knowledge, this is the latest and most up to date C&R application form.

Here is a link to the form:

Removed for now.

Please post any feedback or improvements that need to be made to this form, I spent most of my evening troubleshooting it, but it seems to be pretty clean now.

UPDATE - Improvements made:

1) Font size changed to variable - allows you to enter more information (e.g. extra addresses) if needed without the font being too large
2) CLEO copy automatically fills itself out as you enter your information on the original BATFE form
3) Fonts intentionally kept large for some of the fields - to allow the BATFE to easily read your info

These improvements were made after the initial form's release, so comments in this thread may refer to the original "beta test" form.

If you like this form, please recommend or suggest that others use it, including non-Calgunners. I'd like to spread this form far and wide.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Turby

ke6guj 04-19-2009 1:18 PM

I'd check to see if they will accept a PDF printed app. First issue is that the original is on Green paper. Will they accept it on white paper?

If a PDF version was acceptable, why don't they have it available on the website? I know, .gov runs slow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 2344478)
Folks,
Please don't forget that you have to send 1 copy to the ATF and one to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer locally. I would advise NOT sending your credit card information to your CLEO, if you choose to pay the fees by credit card.

For that, I'd suggest scanning the complete app, including the CLEO copy, instead of just the ATF copy. The CLEO copy has the payment section blocked out so you don't send that info to the CLEO.

Bowser 04-19-2009 10:27 PM

Thanks for this. Another CGer and I haven't gotten our application yet and we ordered them over 2 months ago. I am going to call and order some and ask to see if this is acceptable too.

Silencer 04-20-2009 12:58 AM

For "Position," do I enter "Doggie Style" or what? :)

Also, I have answered "Yes" to section 11 d) and want to know what is meant by "Full Details." I cannot remember the address of one of the gun stores I worked at 17 years ago. Is that a problem, not to include an address?

I think both forms would be great. Saves the trouble of blocking out and the CC info I filled out in the Federal copy.

Turbinator 04-20-2009 4:27 PM

Two things:

1) If someone does call the BATFE and find out if this form is acceptable, please let me know.

2) If #1 is affirmative, then I will get the CLEO form set up in this PDF.

So, folks, hold off from too many people downloading and using the form just yet until we get these things cleared up.

Turby

Bowser 04-21-2009 7:45 AM

Just got off the phone with the ATF. Ordered some application for myself just in case and then got transferred around to ask if they would take a photocopy of the C&R application and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Worse can happen is they send you a real copy and make you fill that out. So if someone wants to be the guinea pig, go for it!

Turbinator 04-21-2009 7:22 PM

Bowser, thanks. I will go ahead and make some edits to the form to allow you to also submit the CLEO application at the same time, and we'll go from there.

A new version will be upped shortly.

Turby

Turbinator 04-24-2009 5:17 AM

Ok everyone, new version up - no file name change (on purpose) now featuring:

* Fill in the first forms and have your CLEO form filled out automatically too!
* Data saveable

Need someone to download and try this out - my tests showed that the form worked great, but curious if anyone else can find any flaws that need to be fixed.

Who's going to be the test subject to see if this online copy will pass with the ATF? :)

Turby

H3llpl3ss 04-24-2009 8:55 AM

I sent in my application yesterday. Lets see if it works.

Turbinator 04-24-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss (Post 2369935)
I sent in my application yesterday. Lets see if it works.

Great. I presume you printed it 2x, and didn't include your CC information on the CLEO copy?

With the revised version now available for download, you don't have to print 2x, you enter data once, and 2 forms are ready to be used.

Thanks for trying the form. Let us know how it goes.

Turby

Meplat 04-28-2009 2:26 PM

It keeps telling me; "The file is damaged and could not be repaired.":confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 2344478)
Folks,

Awhile back I asked if anyone had a softcopy C&R FFL application form. No one had one. So, I ordered a couple from the ATF in Texas, and 1 month later, I got the forms.

I then set about to scanning the form, then converting it using my copy of Adobe Acrobat to make the application "form compatible" on your PC. I then made sure that the user could save the form with the data typed in.

This will allow you to simply type in your application info, print this out, and send it in. To my knowledge, this is the latest and most up to date C&R application form.

Please don't forget that you have to send 1 copy to the ATF and one to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer locally. I would advise NOT sending your credit card information to your CLEO, if you choose to pay the fees by credit card.

Here is a link to the form:

http://www.calguns.net/CR/CRFFLForm7CR.pdf

Please post any feedback or improvements that need to be made to this form, I spent most of my evening troubleshooting it, but it seems to be pretty clean now.

Enjoy!

Turby

Turbinator 04-29-2009 8:56 AM

I've just tested the file again on a machine that's never had it downloaded and opened before, and it works for me. Verify that you're getting a full 4MB file. Are you using the latest Acrobat Reader?

Turby

Inoxmark 04-29-2009 9:45 AM

Is the original form printed double-sided?
Back side straight up or upside-down?

Thanks!

ke6guj 04-29-2009 9:54 AM

original is double-sided, and the back-side is upside-down.

Turbinator 04-29-2009 8:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6guj (Post 2394295)
original is double-sided, and the back-side is upside-down.

For my own edification - does it matter? :confused:

Turby

ke6guj 04-29-2009 8:13 PM

I dunno, Inox asked.

I would suggest printing it doublesided to be safe. Would suck to get it bounced if it was printed single-sided.

I do know that for the Form 1 and Form 4, many people would print them single-sided, and the NFA branch has sent them back because of that.

Turbinator 04-30-2009 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6guj (Post 2398025)
I dunno, Inox asked.

I would suggest printing it doublesided to be safe. Would suck to get it bounced if it was printed single-sided.

I do know that for the Form 1 and Form 4, many people would print them single-sided, and the NFA branch has sent them back because of that.

Good call. Maybe I should include a "roadmap" for printing out the forms to mirror exactly how it arrives from the ATF. If it matters.

Turby

H3llpl3ss 05-01-2009 11:39 AM

I just noticed a 30 dollar transaction from my account. Looks like they took my money. Lets see how long it takes to get my license now.:43:

Turbinator 05-01-2009 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss (Post 2406897)
I just noticed a 30 dollar transaction from my account. Looks like they took my money. Lets see how long it takes to get my license now.:43:

Very fast. I presume the fact that they took your money means that they accepted the form. You used the PDF, right?

Turby

Mr.Pickles 05-03-2009 1:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss (Post 2406897)

did you use double-sided or single? I am going to send mine out today if you did single. Also what was the wait time?

ke6guj 05-03-2009 2:31 PM

why don't you just print it double-sided so it is as close to the original as possible?

Mr.Pickles 05-03-2009 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6guj (Post 2417339)
why don't you just print it double-sided so it is as close to the original as possible?

Because I am lazy, Or it can be because my work computer only prints on one side.... 0.o

ke6guj 05-03-2009 3:46 PM

so you just print the first page back into the printer upside down and print the second page on the back of the first. Double-sided printing on the cheap.

Mr.Pickles 05-03-2009 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6guj (Post 2417627)
so you just print the first page back into the printer upside down and print the second page on the back of the first. Double-sided printing on the cheap.

Cooperate printer wont allow this. It was a yes or no question. If it was double sided, I will have to travel to get the printing done.

H3llpl3ss 05-04-2009 8:43 AM

I printed it single sided. It took less that two weeks for the charge to my account. The day after I sent it out I got the real application in the mail that I requested 2 month ago. Go figure.

Josh3239 05-04-2009 10:09 AM

Thanks Turbinator. I don't even remember when I ordered my C&R liscence forms and it showed up a couple days ago. Must have been at the beginning of the year or something, ATF took way to long on that. Its good we can just download it now.

Mr.Pickles 05-04-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss (Post 2421345)
I printed it single sided. It took less that two weeks for the charge to my account. The day after I sent it out I got the real application in the mail that I requested 2 month ago. Go figure.

thanks for the info now I can get my C&R.

JDay 05-05-2009 1:33 AM

Quote:

That's about how long it took to get mine, I had actually forgot about it by the time it arrived.

Turbinator 05-05-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Awesome. Will anxiously await news of you getting your actual C&R FFL based on using the PDF form. If it works - then we can all celebrate success!!

Turby

Turbinator 05-05-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh3239 (Post 2421757)
Thanks Turbinator. I don't even remember when I ordered my C&R liscence forms and it showed up a couple days ago. Must have been at the beginning of the year or something, ATF took way to long on that. Its good we can just download it now.

You're welcome, I hope more people use it and bring back stories of successful applications.

Turby

amurphy 05-05-2009 12:31 PM

Ok... Filling out the form and where I have to list my addresses from the last 5 year I have 3 and it is longer than the box provided. How will it look printed out or should I just hand write them in?

Thank you very much for making this able to be filled out on the computer. Makes it much easier on me and for whoever has to try to read my handwriting :chris:

40caldeserteagle 05-07-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amurphy (Post 2429047)
Ok... Filling out the form and where I have to list my addresses from the last 5 year I have 3 and it is longer than the box provided. How will it look printed out or should I just hand write them in?

Thank you very much for making this able to be filled out on the computer. Makes it much easier on me and for whoever has to try to read my handwriting :chris:

I would just use the next box down.

David F.

amurphy 05-07-2009 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 40caldeserteagle (Post 2440786)
I would just use the next box down.

David F.

Thanks. I ended up handwriting it. Mailing it out today.

Turbinator 05-08-2009 1:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amurphy (Post 2429047)

I can change it to make the font size variable in case you have to put a lot of addresses in that field. I will consider making this change in a future revision.

You're welcome. I hope this form works and I'm looking forward to people getting their C&R's with it.

Turby

amurphy 05-08-2009 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 2447715)
I can change it to make the font size variable in case you have to put a lot of addresses in that field. I will consider making this change in a future revision.

You're welcome. I hope this form works and I'm looking forward to people getting their C&R's with it.

Turby

Thanks!! That would probably be helpful for younger people that have moved around a little bit before settling in at their current home.

Being able to type this out and print it is much better than writing it all out by hand.

Thank you again!!

obeygiant 05-08-2009 2:04 PM

Turbinator,

Thank you for taking the time to scan this and make a fillable form. I was going to attempt the exact same thing but I lost my copies of the form the last time I moved. I know it can be a hassle getting all of the fields correct so thank you again for the nice job you did on this. I will be sending mine in as well and will let you know when I get a response.

Inoxmark 05-11-2009 5:30 PM

Mailed printed PDF application on 5/5, and of course not even a week later I get the real application in the mail. :rolleyes:
I'll donate the green forms to anyone that wants them after my PDF app is accepted.

kalguns 05-12-2009 7:29 AM

Thanks for the info

amurphy 05-12-2009 2:00 PM

I have called and confirmed 3 different times that they would accept the pdf we have here. Twice was the same girl. Other time was a guy that seemed a little peeved that I was asking.

(Posted here and on the "how long?" post)

Slim 05-12-2009 4:03 PM

Ok I downloaded the file not problems. Now is see that I need a valid Hunting license. Can this be right?

Also can someone tell me how to change the font size?

Thanks