Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   internet filter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=808256)

jbolton 08-14-2013 9:32 PM

internet filter
 
One of my kids just started high school. He is in a space and engineering program that requires all of his assignments for the physics class to be completed using a computer. We bought him a laptop but I don't want him getting side tracked searching porn sites. Can anyone recomend a good filter or program to block him from accessing sites he shouldn't be visiting?

Ricky-Ray 08-14-2013 9:41 PM

I've never tried it but I've heard lot's of good things about Net Nanny.

hermosabeach 08-14-2013 9:48 PM

Microsoft has a program a friend uses for the 10 year old

In order to go to a site not in a list he set up, the computer prompts "ask an adult". Dad gets a pop up at work and can grant approval or mom can type a code

It also lists every google search/ web search.

Be gets a weekly report

For high school I think the weekly report would be a starting point and then restrict based upon behavior

All kids will see stuff that you might not feel they are ready for but that is true of almost everything as a parent.

I guess determining how much porn or video content is OK and how much time/ how many searches is OK?

Gunhead 08-14-2013 11:00 PM

If he's a smart kid, he'll find a way around whatever you put on there. I know I did.

Ninety 08-14-2013 11:13 PM

router settings?

TML 08-14-2013 11:37 PM

Go for router settings, find a "kid friendly DNS server" and use that on your kids computer, will keep them from hitting the tubes.

Peter.Steele 08-15-2013 4:56 AM

Try actual parental supervision. That works better than some software filter.



ETA: For once, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. That just came out the wrong way, I think.

the86d 08-15-2013 6:10 AM

What my son does on his phone in the bathroom, on his time is his own business...
The computer that I have to re-setup, on my time, is mine.

My chiropractor was using a really good one that I couldn't even find much about until I dug deep. I cannot recall what it was.

I have never used one myself, as I don't want to unblock all the time, :) but google "christian anti-porn site block" no quotes might help you. Try a few, and you should have good results.

I know on my router I can set a computer/ip to not get any pages that have specific words and it give them a page that just say that the "Admin has blocked the content of this page" i.e. sex, gay, vagina, anal, blow*, fellatio, etc, but the list kept getting added to...

Since he was on his notebook, at like 4 in the morning chatting verbally, but quietly w/ his girlfriend, and I thought I was hearing voices (yeah that bad, as he was so sneeky and sly that by the time I got out of bed and opened his door, he appeared to be sleeping, and I thought I was really hearing voices in my head [before I was a firearm owner, go figure] for multiple mornings until I realized that the laptop plug was in the wall and put 2&2 together)... he is not allowed a computer in his room anymore. :(

The kids' main computer is in the kids play room, and we can see the screen from the main walkway to the door, stairs, kitchen, living room. (Put that in your pipe and smoke it, son...)

Of course, if he gets a USB stick with Linux on it, or a Live CD/DVD distro and boots to that, the only way you could block that is at the router, I assume. However if your neighbor WiFi is only using WEP encryption (cracked in minutes with Linux), and your kids is using Linux, that might be an alternate Internet pipe he could use...

Games might be a bigger issue of a time-suck/distraction for someone in HS than pr0n...

jbolton 08-15-2013 7:19 AM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I check out my router setting, and I don't really see any options to filter a computer that is connected to the network. I have an older Belkin. I will look at some new routers. There seems to be a lot of methods for kids to bypass installed filters so I am thinking a new router is the way to go.


"Peter.Steele

Try actual parental supervision. That works better than some software filter.

ETA: For once, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. That just came out the wrong way, I think.''



We do currently monitor all his internet activity as he has shown us he can't handle the power of the net. That's why we are seeking option since he now has his is own laptop for school which when used at home will be in front of us.




"
the86d

What my son does on his phone in the bathroom, on his time is his own business...
The computer that I have to re-setup, on my time, is mine.

My chiropractor was using a really good one that I couldn't even find much about until I dug deep. I cannot recall what it was.

I have never used one myself, as I don't want to unblock all the time, but google "christian anti-porn site block" no quotes might help you. Try a few, and you should have good results.

I know on my router I can set a computer/ip to not get any pages that have specific words and it give them a page that just say that the "Admin has blocked the content of this page" i.e. sex, gay, vagina, anal, blow*, fellatio, etc, but the list kept getting added to...

Since he was on his notebook, at like 4 in the morning chatting verbally, but quietly w/ his girlfriend, and I thought I was hearing voices (yeah that bad, as he was so sneeky and sly that by the time I got out of bed and opened his door, he appeared to be sleeping, and I thought I was really hearing voices in my head [before I was a firearm owner, go figure] for multiple mornings until I realized that the laptop plug was in the wall and put 2&2 together)... he is not allowed a computer in his room anymore.

The kids' main computer is in the kids play room, and we can see the screen from the main walkway to the door, stairs, kitchen, living room. (Put that in your pipe and smoke it, son...)

Of course, if he gets a USB stick with Linux on it, or a Live CD/DVD distro and boots to that, the only way you could block that is at the router, I assume. However if your neighbor WiFi is only using WEP encryption (cracked in minutes with Linux), and your kids is using Linux, that might be an alternate Internet pipe he could use...

Games might be a bigger issue of a time-suck/distraction for someone in HS than pr0n''





The tube has already been a problem for him. He lost his ps3 a year ago. I had all the filters set up on it, so he created a new account he used to switch over to and surf porn tubes. He does have a smart phone that his mother bought him but I have the wifi feature turned off, and a pretty good password to the wifi. I haven't had any surges in the toilet paper so I think I am ok there.

jbolton 08-15-2013 7:31 AM

Any wireless router suggestions?

pc_load_letter 08-15-2013 7:53 AM

Setup your router to use OpenDNS. It's free and offers great service for simply signing up.

You can filter just about all the bad stuff you can think of as well as get great usage reports.

Alternately, you can get the Astaro firewall\webfilter forfree from Sophos. (They purchased Astaro)

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...e-edition.aspx

the86d 08-15-2013 8:36 AM

The first few Actiontec routers I was supplied by Verizon were ok, but I would assume that their retail routers (that people buy on purpose) would be better than the last few with VZ firmware on them, but still they work very well and are stable, but old features like sort by mac and little things are not as good on the newer VZ firmware'd ones.

A quick google search seems to imply that most routers have blocking features... look at the box if you are buying retail, or research ahead of time on these 'nets.

All Actiontecs that I have had my hand in setting up for friends, parents, and my family have lasted at least 3-5 years. Others last longer.

jbolton 08-15-2013 8:39 AM

I was thinking about this one

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Wirele...AHC_B008HO9DK4

LiferLance 08-15-2013 8:45 AM

Maybe I'm a few degrees off on this one, but unless you ban access unless your watching, a kid is going to find porn if they want to. If you google search images you'll find hits, you can route through alternate DNS servers or even just get a USB stick from a friend with porn on it.

jbolton 08-15-2013 8:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiferLance (Post 12072424)
Maybe I'm a few degrees off on this one, but unless you ban access unless your watching, a kid is going to find porn if they want to. If you google search images you'll find hits, you can route through alternate DNS servers or even just get a USB stick from a friend with porn on it.


Very true. But I have an obligation as a parent to try, and leave the rest to god.

NytWolf 08-15-2013 9:16 AM

Did you have access to porn when you were his age?

If you block his access to it, he will find it elsewhere ... or find something else. Is that you want? Unless he is abusing it, I wouldn't block him.

Brianguy 08-15-2013 9:45 AM

As already mentioned above, https://www.opendns.com/ is free and effective. Install their program to monitor ip changes.

More free protection to supplement opendns is the built-in content filtering in IE and firefox add-ons such as https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir.../procon-latte/

Make sure he's setup on a standard windows account and obviously don't tell him the pw for the admin account :D

Petra 08-15-2013 3:17 PM

This thread is absolutely hilarious... :rofl: Which is great, because I needed a good laugh.

Anyone with even a modicum of intelligence, technical ability, and creativity would be able to circumvent absolutely everything that's been suggested. That said, it's fun for things to be a bit of a challenge sometimes.

njineermike 08-15-2013 3:19 PM

Wait. You think your going to stop an engineering student who wants porn from getting porn. That's hilarious right there.

the86d 08-16-2013 4:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NytWolf (Post 12072663)
Did you have access to porn when you were his age?

If you block his access to it, he will find it elsewhere ... or find something else. Is that you want? Unless he is abusing it, I wouldn't block him.

I did, but it was Cindy Crawford and such on floppy... ;)
Laura's Lair BBS required ID on file for access and I was underage, so sneaker-net was only one option... unless you knew someone with a BBS and they bumped your access to their personal stash.

gabe123 08-16-2013 4:09 PM

Unless you have the resource of a company IT department, it is almost impossible to block anything at home 100% reliably. Open DNS is a good option, and available for most router. Just do a little home work on your part. Its not difficult to do. Just know that kids nowadays are very tech savvy. By the way, if you go for the router option, make sure your kids dont have access to your neighbor wifi.

Vetteodyssey 08-16-2013 4:18 PM

+3 for OpenDNS. Anything you install on the computer can be circumvented in 5-4-3-2-1.

It's so easy to use I talked the grandparents through setting it up over the phone.

LAmike 08-16-2013 7:56 PM

OP,
-OpenDNS
-A router with content filtering and timed access
-an administrative account on the laptop
-etc.

Those are all good options but can be circumvented and can be time consuming and a hassle to deal with. The best thing is to let your son know what kind of content is acceptable and what kind of content is not. Check periodically. My guess is that because you sound like a conscientious dad, your son is probably a good kid. Trust but verify.

five.five-six 08-16-2013 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunhead (Post 12070600)
If he's a smart kid, he'll find a way around whatever you put on there. I know I did.

Walled garden, but yes all can be seen with proxies.

Jason95357 08-16-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAmike (Post 12085813)
OP,
-OpenDNS
-A router with content filtering and timed access
-an administrative account on the laptop
-etc.

Those are all good options but can be circumvented and can be time consuming and a hassle to deal with. The best thing is to let your son know what kind of content is acceptable and what kind of content is not. Check periodically. My guess is that because you sound like a conscientious dad, your son is probably a good kid. Trust but verify.

OpenDNS is rather effective if you have your router block outbound DNS to anything other than OpenDNS's site. Also, you need to have OpenDNS block Proxy/Anonymizer sites.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty decent job.

Further, you can look at OpenDNS stats to see if attempts are being made to access filtered sites. Then you can have a sit-down talk. Well, start with a sit-down talk, and about trust, and about you trying to protect him (or help him guard his time, or whatever), but then you can have a follow-up conversation as needed.

So in order to block all other DNS access except OpenDNS, My D-Link DIR-825 has these options configured via these menus:
Advanced - Access Control, and then I added two polices:
Policy Name: NonOpenDNS-block
Choose a schedule to apply to this policy: Always
Select Machine: Other Machines (I have other policies, so this matches everything)
Select the method for filtering: Block Some Access
Apply Advanced Port Filters (checked)

Then I have ranges listed next (which will be blocked):
dns-1 0.0.0.0 - 208.67.220.219 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-2 208.67.220.221 - 208.67.222.221 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-3 208.67.222.223 - 255.255.255.255 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53

dns-4 0.0.0.0 - 208.67.220.219 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-5 208.67.220.221 - 208.67.222.221 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-6 208.67.222.223 - 255.255.255.255 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53

(basically, all IPs except OpenDNS's 208.67.202.220 & 208.67.222.222)

five.five-six 08-16-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason95357 (Post 12086820)
OpenDNS is rather effective if you have your router block outbound DNS to anything other than OpenDNS's site. Also, you need to have OpenDNS block Proxy/Anonymizer sites.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty decent job.

Further, you can look at OpenDNS stats to see if attempts are being made to access filtered sites. Then you can have a sit-down talk. Well, start with a sit-down talk, and about trust, and about you trying to protect him (or help him guard his time, or whatever), but then you can have a follow-up conversation as needed.

So in order to block all other DNS access except OpenDNS, My D-Link DIR-825 has these options configured via these menus:
Advanced - Access Control, and then I added two polices:
Policy Name: NonOpenDNS-block
Choose a schedule to apply to this policy: Always
Select Machine: Other Machines (I have other policies, so this matches everything)
Select the method for filtering: Block Some Access
Apply Advanced Port Filters (checked)

Then I have ranges listed next (which will be blocked):
dns-1 0.0.0.0 - 208.67.220.219 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-2 208.67.220.221 - 208.67.222.221 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-3 208.67.222.223 - 255.255.255.255 Protocol:TCP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53

dns-4 0.0.0.0 - 208.67.220.219 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-5 208.67.220.221 - 208.67.222.221 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53
dns-6 208.67.222.223 - 255.255.255.255 Protocol:UDP Dest Start:53 Dest Port End:53

(basically, all IPs except OpenDNS's 208.67.202.220 & 208.67.222.222)

All defeated by a smartphone with teathering.

Jason95357 08-17-2013 8:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by five.five-six (Post 12086856)
All defeated by a smartphone with teathering.

My cell phone family plan has porn filtering as well. Speaking of, I have to go edit it, because the violence filter or something is blocking gun-related sites.

But, yes, if someone wants to get to porn, they will. The unblockable location is the public library.

Jason95357 08-17-2013 8:17 AM

T-Mobile
 
Argh, so T-Mobile doesn't have granular filtering like OpenDNS does. They have 3 pre-set categories:

Child: Recommended for all ages. Content in this categories contains little or no sexual content, situations, or themes; no strong or coarse language; no alcoholo, tobacco or drug use; and no gambling. Some websites may contain minimal cartoon or fantasy violence.

Teen: Recommended for age 13 and up. Content in this category may contain mild or infrequent violence; sexual content, situations, or themes; profanity or crude humor; alcohol, tobacco or drug use (not intended to encourage use). This category may also contain simulated gambling.

Young Adult: Recommended for age 17 and up. Content in this category may contain frequent or intense graphic violence, sexual content, profanity, and crude humor.

So my wife and I are set for the Young Adult filter. Calguns.net is blocked "Content restricted" but no details on why. I guess I'll have to bug T-Mobile as to why the site is blocked. I don't see anything of the filters above talking about firearms. The child and teen filters mention levels of violence allowed, but firearms aren't violent (but perhaps T-Mobile thinks they are). I can't see why Young Adult would block based on violence at all - in fact, I'm not even sure what Young Adult does filter on (I think I picked it hoping for some basic malware protection).

spamsucker 08-17-2013 8:21 AM

The ONLY filter that's ever really going to work is good parenting and you're too late there. You either have or have not instilled the judgement, values and morality that you desire. Just give him the computer and tell him he's responsible for his behavior. You might also mention that if he wants to surf porn he should install a virtual machine instance running Linux and surf porn from there. At least it won't infect the host OS with eSyphillis or iHerpes.

Jason95357 08-17-2013 8:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spamsucker (Post 12088693)
The ONLY filter that's ever really going to work is good parenting and you're too late there. You either have or have not instilled the judgement, values and morality that you desire. Just give him the computer and tell him he's responsible for his behavior. You might also mention that if he wants to surf porn he should install a virtual machine instance running Linux and surf porn from there. At least it won't infect the host OS with eSyphillis or iHerpes.

I agree that good parenting is the foundation. But curiosity and a young boy are a tough mixture. If I can make it so that my sons (or daughters) don't accident stumble into smut when looking for something legitimate, I'm going to do so.

spamsucker 08-17-2013 8:34 AM

You don't see the fail in that? It's just like hiding a gun from them. You just make it more attractive. I showed my kids that I trust them by never blocking anything. They're perfectly capable of tuning out smutty images returned from searching for "Bea Arthur" and if they aren't then I've done a bad job. The world is full of disturbing images, you'd better make sure they're able to handle them in everyday situations or you risk ending up with a pervert or a skank instead of someone that sees a snatch pic from their Bea Arthur search and doesn't panic or rail against the freedoms of speech and expression of others but just moves on. You're teaching them how to avoid unpleasantness, not how to deal with it and IMHO (which it appears we are in very different states of) you're doing him/them a massive disservice and you should have a think about it.

Jason95357 08-17-2013 9:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spamsucker (Post 12088768)
You don't see the fail in that? It's just like hiding a gun from them. You just make it more attractive. I showed my kids that I trust them by never blocking anything. They're perfectly capable of tuning out smutty images returned from searching for "Bea Arthur" and if they aren't then I've done a bad job. The world is full of disturbing images, you'd better make sure they're able to handle them in everyday situations or you risk ending up with a pervert or a skank instead of someone that sees a snatch pic from their Bea Arthur search and doesn't panic or rail against the freedoms of speech and expression of others but just moves on. You're teaching them how to avoid unpleasantness, not how to deal with it and IMHO (which it appears we are in very different states of) you're doing him/them a massive disservice and you should have a think about it.

I think you're making a number of assumptions here. I've been talking about porn with my boys since they were 8. We've had yearly father-son chats (on the whole sex topic in general), each year adding more info, etc. My boys and I are very open - but I keep it what I feel is age appropriate as well.

Ultimately, in the context of this discussion, I'd say it's hard-core unrealistic porn that I don't want my kids viewing. I don't want them having unrealistic expectations for their future sex life in marriage. But that's also what I teach - sex is for marriage. Wait and explore it in that context and it'll be great. Explore it before, and you'll run the risk of being unsatisfied with someone you marry - someone who other than in the bedroom is the best fit for you (but in the bedroom you had a "hot girl" way back that your spouse can't measure up to).

Just my world-view, much of it based on the Bible and personal experience, and hearing and reading first-hand experiences from others.

Jason95357 08-17-2013 9:20 AM

I'll toss this link out there too.

jbolton 08-17-2013 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason95357 (Post 12089076)
I think you're making a number of assumptions here. I've been talking about porn with my boys since they were 8. We've had yearly father-son chats (on the whole sex topic in general), each year adding more info, etc. My boys and I are very open - but I keep it what I feel is age appropriate as well.

Ultimately, in the context of this discussion, I'd say it's hard-core unrealistic porn that I don't want my kids viewing. I don't want them having unrealistic expectations for their future sex life in marriage. But that's also what I teach - sex is for marriage. Wait and explore it in that context and it'll be great. Explore it before, and you'll run the risk of being unsatisfied with someone you marry - someone who other than in the bedroom is the best fit for you (but in the bedroom you had a "hot girl" way back that your spouse can't measure up to).

Just my world-view, much of it based on the Bible and personal experience, and hearing and reading first-hand experiences from others.



Glad to see someone else who gets it.


Being a 14 y/o young man I know he will seek out for sexual material but I feel limiting his access at home is whats best for him now. Porn creates addition. Addition to self pleasure which is a form of self worshiping. Which can also alter the way someone treats, and looks at women. I don't want our son to look at a women as body parts which is what porn promotes. God created sexual organs for a reason. For a man, and a women to produce children. To become one in flesh, and spirit. Not to look at porn and masturbate.



I appreciate everyone's suggestions on the original topic of this thread.

johnny_22 08-17-2013 12:30 PM

NetGear UTM series
 
I use the Netgear UTM 10 at home at at work. It is a wired system, but, they have a wireless (UTM9S) for those who like that.

The Content filter blocks not just Porn, but Anonymizers as well Nice fine tooth adjustments so Violence does not block the NRA or Calguns.

A new feature to their firmware was the Google porn search block. Used to be that searching for certain terms in images.google.com gave you what you wanted. Now, the images are filtered, and very PG rated.

At work Facebook and Linked-in are blocked. The Netgear can block not just HTTP access but HTTPS as well. Allowed me to block "the chans" as well.

catmman 12-07-2013 12:44 PM

Tell him you put a keylogger on it that will send you reports.

rjpsb1 12-07-2013 12:48 PM

Good parenting is the only way to handle it - there's no way to keep him from seeing what you don't want him to see.

Jason95357 12-07-2013 4:16 PM

My sons have plenty of good parenting. My son and I took a quick drive last week and he confessed he was searching out inappropriate stuff (I wasn't asking). My point is, my kids want to make right choices, most of the time. It's those weak times that we need the roadblocks to slow us down.

catmman 12-07-2013 6:12 PM

Good parenting is key but roadblocks are very important. Too bad there is no 100% answer to this.

blazeaglory 12-07-2013 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunhead (Post 12070600)
If he's a smart kid, he'll find a way around whatever you put on there. I know I did.

Yep.

Besides, you gotta let your kid grow up. If hes serious about his life, hell only watch a little bit of porn and then do his work. You gotta let him "blow off some steam" so to speak...lol

Have no fear. If hes normal hell only watch about an hour of porn per day and be OK. If hes a little weird, youll probably never see him again:(


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.