Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   California State Guard - formerly the CSMR (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1060504)

rkt88edmo 04-12-2015 8:15 AM

California State Guard - formerly the CSMR
 
ALCON,

This sticky was made to give Calgunner’s a place to learn about opportunities to serve (or serve once again) the
State of California in uniform. The California State Guard - formerly the California State Military Reserve (CSMR) is one of the four components of
the California Military Department, along with the Army National Guard, Air Nation Guard and the various Youth
Programs.

The CSMR is a volunteer force of soldiers and airmen who drill on a monthly basis at CANG locations throughout
the State, while conducting missions that directly support either (a) the National Guard or (b) local First Responders
(LEO’s, Fire, EMT, FEMA, Cal-EMA, etc). CSMR soldiers are under US Code Title 32, just like the National Guard.
While the CSMR is subject to activation via a declaration from the Governor, we are not subject to federalization (Title
10 call-up) and being shipped overseas. There is no 2, 4 or 6-year enlistment contract to sign. You can resign at any
time, with the only except if you have been activated during an emergency.

As of this writing in March 2015, between the (a) draw-down of forces overseas, and the (b) Sequestration funding
impacting the overall strength of the Armed Forces - both are adversely impacting the National Guard’s ability to
conduct missions, training or even administrative tasks here at home. The CSMR helps fill this void by supplying
troops who are either prior-service soldiers, airmen, sailors or Marines, or non-prior service civilians who have either
valuable experience (doctors, lawyers, LEO, EMT’s, plumbers, auto mechanics, S-1 Administrative types, etc.).

Regardless of their background – everyone who joins the CSMR is a patriot at heart. They are the type who’d rather
be responding to emergencies (natural disasters, civil disturbances or terrorist attacks) versus watching them unfold
on TV.

If you would like to learn more about the CSMR and our mission, please visit one of these following websites:

http://www.calguard.ca.gov, and click on the SMR link (the picture with the fire fighters),
http://csmrsoldier.com Regional Support Command-South PAO home page,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...litary_Reserve Wikipedia page

You can also visit the various CSMR or State Military Reserve threads on CalGuns, or you can also PM me directly,
and I will put you in contact with someone from our Recruiting Task Force (South, Central or Northern California).

Hooah and Semper Fi!

2LT Tim Grizzle

S3 OIC / Recruiting Task Force South

nevets 04-24-2015 11:31 AM

Hello All!

To piggyback on what rkt88edmo said, the CSMR is a great opportunity for those looking to serve, or serve again. If I'm not mistaken, the recruiting command for the SMR has a motto: "We Recycle Veterans"

I will have been with the CSMR - Northern Command for two years next Saturday on May 2, 2015, and wouldn't take it back for anything. I have written a rather lengthy kinda/sorta FAQ on the California State Military Reserve and have addressed some of the common questions that I see asked about the SMR, with answers based on applicable federal law, California Military and Veterans Code citations, senior CSMR leadership, and also my own personal experience. Please refer to it on the "San Diego Unit- California State Military Reserve RECRUITING!" thread, starting on pg. 4 at post #136 and going forward, or you can click on: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ht=CSMR&page=4 and skip down to post #136 and read on.

Please be advised that I am NOT a recruiter with the CSMR. I am an E-4 with the Northern Command. If you are within the Northern California area and looking to join, PM me or reply to this post and I can put you in contact with a recruiter that can help you.

CrazyCobraManTim 04-24-2015 7:12 PM

Thanks for the shout out SPC Nevets! I was just up NorCal way, and got to visit HQ after 4+ years, and made stops with another soldier in Modesto and a potential LNO in Fresno. Good times indeed! And BTW - I'm a recruiter, so ask the good SPC what he thinks about the SMR, and talk to me about other details for accession (we don't call it enlistment - since it's not structured the same as the federal service or even the CANG).

Tim

smle-man 04-24-2015 9:53 PM

I did some great years with the CSMR and recommend it highly for prior service types or those without prior service. There are occasional opportunities to serve in a paid status also. Check them out! The CSMR has meaningful missions and needs quality soldiers to complete those missions.

Sparks57 05-22-2015 1:55 PM

Put in my paperwork last month, it should take about 3 to 5 months to get my orders. It might be a little strange going from the Navy to wearing Army uniforms, I was really impressed with the people and can't wait to get started.

nevets 05-22-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparks57 (Post 16343848)
Put in my paperwork last month, it should take about 3 to 5 months to get my orders. It might be a little strange going from the Navy to wearing Army uniforms, I was really impressed with the people and can't wait to get started.

Are you in Northern or Southern California? Make sure you keep in contact with your recruiter! They told me the same "3-5 months or so..." and almost 9 months passed before I got on the horn and started asking questions.

Good luck with everything!

Jamez 05-24-2015 11:00 AM

I'm in the CalGuard and I've worked with, trained with, and have met many SMR's. Good people.
Some are old Vietnam era veterans with TONS of experience not shared anymore in the modern units. Some are just guys in the late 20's like me.

Did a civil disturbance training missions (as an instructor) with a group of SMR's, all cops, all stellar human beings.

CrazyCobraManTim 05-25-2015 7:03 PM

ALCON, regarding the wait times - it can be as fast as 3 months, and sometimes much longer. Our job is to get interested people into the SMR, so make sure you bring all the required paperwork with you to Orientation, and tell the truth regarding any arrests, regardless of the age or expungement. Aside from that, many of our Recruiters work nights and weekends all month long to keep paperwork flowing, including working with the MACOM's to get the all-important Form 10 (request for orders), which gives you a reserved place within a unit. Even while at Memorial Day observances on Saturday, and after a B-day party today - I'm here processing good people into the SMR.

A somber and reflective Memorial Day to all!

CrazyCobraManTim 08-26-2015 7:09 PM

Heads up - the California Military Department (Army Guard, Air Guard, SMR and Youth Programs) is changing their name to CALGuard.

One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. It will be construed of current USN, USMC and CG reservists, along with prior service (but no longer IRR) members of these branches. Even civilians with get a special....opportunity to train up to CNM standards.

If you are interested - PM me.

nevets 08-26-2015 8:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim (Post 16831340)
Heads up - the California Military Department (Army Guard, Air Guard, SMR and Youth Programs) is changing their name to CALGuard.

One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. It will be construed of current USN, USMC and CG reservists, along with prior service (but no longer IRR) members of these branches. Even civilians with get a special....opportunity to train up to CNM standards.

If you are interested - PM me.

PM sent!!!

CrazyCobraManTim 10-11-2015 9:39 PM

FYI that California is working on their Naval Militia and Marine Components. Not much detail to share at this time, but we are collecting names from qualified individuals (retired or reservists USCG, Navy or Marines - and some specially qualified SMR soldiers.

LT G

nevets 10-12-2015 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim (Post 17056524)
FYI that California is working on their Naval Militia and Marine Components. Not much detail to share at this time, but we are collecting names from qualified individuals (retired or reservists USCG, Navy or Marines - and some specially qualified SMR soldiers.

LT G

Sounds good. Thanks for keeping us in the loop as updates become available, sir!

CrazyCobraManTim 10-12-2015 12:42 PM

I share as much as OPSEC and Command allows....but it's admittingly hard to hold back exciting info.... )

calcoco 12-26-2015 5:41 PM

I sent an email expressing interest and was ignored.

nevets 12-27-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcoco (Post 17412630)
I sent an email expressing interest and was ignored.

It can take quite some time for them to get back to you. we have only a handful of full timers and they are way backlogged with all the other applications for accession. Who did you contact?

Also, what part of the state do you reside in? I may be able to put you in direct contact with a recruiter who can answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reply to this or PM me.

CrazyCobraManTim 12-27-2015 5:52 PM

Sorry - we've been dark due to travel, missions and holiday parties.
Who did you contact and when?

LT G

calcoco 01-20-2016 1:55 PM

Not sure who the sgt was that I was in contact with. I am in the bay area

CrazyCobraManTim 01-26-2016 7:45 AM

Calcoco - send me a PM and I'll get in touch with our Recruiting Task Force North. Will share the contact info (phone & email) with both parties. Sound fair?

nevets 01-27-2016 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calcoco (Post 17544987)
Not sure who the sgt was that I was in contact with. I am in the bay area

If you're in the SF Bay Area, you likely talked with someone in San Jose. Might it have been Staff Sergeant Hatton?

mhr1981 01-31-2016 4:13 PM

I'm in the CSMR as an E4 Medic. I just got back from Camp Roberts training NG members the CLS course.

Ohhh Camp Roberts...

Where their motto should be "Welcome to Camp Roberts! Since 1941 and not and darn thing has changed (including the bunk mattresses)" Good times. LOL!

RoyalEnfieldfan 01-31-2016 7:22 PM

Any updates on CSMR changes? The new CNM sounds interesting. Anyone had any experience with the Air NG CSMR component?

Thanks

CrazyCobraManTim 03-04-2016 10:45 AM

Updates for the CSMR. The Naval Militia is on hold (dead) at this time due to some legal issues between Title 10 and California's Military & Veteran's Code (MVC). So as a place holder, they are starting up a Maritime Support Element, but it's months (6-18) off from being stood up I would suspect.

Best advice I can give (especially for prior / retired sailors, USCG and Marines) is contact Recruiting, join the CSMR and await the official launch. Atleast you'll be vetted and part of the California Military Dept.

nevets 03-12-2016 3:52 PM

Situation normal... Stand by to stand by!

CrazyCobraManTim 03-13-2016 11:41 AM

SNAFU and yes, Stand by to Stand By... :)

nevets 05-22-2016 9:31 AM

Looks like RSC-North and RSC-South will be dissolved. New changes are to take place in 60 days. Naval component is supposed to be stood up, as well. Lots of changes are coming. Let's just hope it's for the better.

CrazyCobraManTim 05-22-2016 2:56 PM

Lots of the changes are simply organizational re-alignment. It won't be the Title 10 Naval Militia, as California and WDC / DoD have to resolve some legislative matters first. So it's a short term (18-months) Maritime Support Command.

We'll see if the MSC can get it's sea legs and be ready for business soon. Get used to seeing people in either actual blueberrys & MARPATS or a commercial variety.

Should be fun!

nevets 05-25-2016 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim (Post 18204454)
Lots of the changes are simply organizational re-alignment. It won't be the Title 10 Naval Militia, as California and WDC / DoD have to resolve some legislative matters first. So it's a short term (18-months) Maritime Support Command.

We'll see if the MSC can get it's sea legs and be ready for business soon. Get used to seeing people in either actual blueberrys & MARPATS or a commercial variety.

Should be fun!


Yea, I think that in general, it's for the better, however, I hope new elements who will be integrating into the various units around the state don't destroy what many have worked so hard to achieve. Particularly as it relates to our cohesion and integration with our national guard units.

CrazyCobraManTim 05-26-2016 5:12 PM

Not to worry - the MSC side will have similar - but different missions from what the bulk of the SMR does today. MSC will have different customers (agencies) they will support. In times of crisis, both sides of the SMR house will likely be activated to help during our 4 seasons: fires, floods, earthquakes and riots.

M1NM 05-26-2016 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim (Post 16831340)
One of the first important changes is the addition of the California Naval Militia. .

Did 10 years in SMR & retired 4 years ago. The Naval Militia was still around in the 90s but not active. I was told it was composed of a few San Francisco lawyers who met for lunch. Glad to hear it will be an active unit again with our long coastline.

Roboshred 05-26-2016 9:31 PM

You can PM as Im active in the CSMR and worked at the JFHQ FOR 6 yrs.. I can assist with any questions and contacts in the Northern command..

RHT447 05-28-2016 2:37 PM

Started out with the 102nd Bn in Orovile in 1983. Finished out as CO of the 115th Troop Command Support Bn in Roseville in 2001. Hope the current political climate doesn't FUBAR the whole thing.

CrazyCobraManTim 05-30-2016 5:39 AM

Agreed Sir! I'd like to believe that volunteer work at the SMR & Maritime Support Command transcends political affiliations, but seeing elected officials decline to have their picture in front of the US Flag (or even the city, county or State they represent) speaks volumes of pandering to a constituency that feels less than inclined to support Old Glory and what she stands for. That is a sad statement to make on this Memorial Day....

jmsenk 06-25-2016 10:36 AM

In July I will have been with the CSMR for one year and I just wanted to post on here to briefly share a bit of my experience with them for anyone who might be considering joining.

The soldiers that I work with in the CSMR motivate me more than I could say. Most of them are great people with a good mix of prior service and law enforcement/emergency medical/Firefighter personnel along side the guys who work in business or retail or finance and come in to serve on the weekends. They enjoy training and actively want to learn. More over, they're good at what they do.

I went through a CLS course put on by the CSMR last November. I have gone through a lot of CLS courses during my time on active duty (never in the guard, oddly enough) and this one was one of the best that I have done. It was very well run with subject matter experts giving excellent hands on training over a three day period, culminating in a practical exercise. The course was run by the CSMR, but the students came from the Cali Guard and the Army reserves as well - to include an entire platoon who bussed down from somewhere farther north for the 3 day class. The CSMR personnel on site impressed everyone.

In my one year with the CSMR I have gotten more range time and burned more ammo than I did in the National Guard. I am part of the Installation Support Command SECFOR company, so qualifying and arming up is part of our day to day mission, but we have a large number of individual augmentees who we train on weapons and qualify in order to assist us when our numbers are low, and these guys come from a variety of units - shooting a lot of ammo on the state's dime.

The people are good, the training is there to be had, and the experience is what you make of it. If you miss serving (as I did) and you want a rewarding experience, I would recommend checking it out. Coming in from a prior service background you will be able to have a direct and immediate influence on whatever unit you go to and will serve to enhance their training from the start.

It takes some time and a commitment, but I don't think you would regret it.

DonFerrando 06-27-2016 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmsenk (Post 18383741)
In July I will have been with the CSMR for one year and I just wanted to post on here to briefly share a bit of my experience with them for anyone who might be considering joining.

The soldiers that I work with in the CSMR motivate me more than I could say. Most of them are great people with a good mix of prior service and law enforcement/emergency medical/Firefighter personnel along side the guys who work in business or retail or finance and come in to serve on the weekends. They enjoy training and actively want to learn. More over, they're good at what they do.

I went through a CLS course put on by the CSMR last November. I have gone through a lot of CLS courses during my time on active duty (never in the guard, oddly enough) and this one was one of the best that I have done. It was very well run with subject matter experts giving excellent hands on training over a three day period, culminating in a practical exercise. The course was run by the CSMR, but the students came from the Cali Guard and the Army reserves as well - to include an entire platoon who bussed down from somewhere farther north for the 3 day class. The CSMR personnel on site impressed everyone.

In my one year with the CSMR I have gotten more range time and burned more ammo than I did in the National Guard. I am part of the Installation Support Command SECFOR company, so qualifying and arming up is part of our day to day mission, but we have a large number of individual augmentees who we train on weapons and qualify in order to assist us when our numbers are low, and these guys come from a variety of units - shooting a lot of ammo on the state's dime.

The people are good, the training is there to be had, and the experience is what you make of it. If you miss serving (as I did) and you want a rewarding experience, I would recommend checking it out. Coming in from a prior service background you will be able to have a direct and immediate influence on whatever unit you go to and will serve to enhance their training from the start.

It takes some time and a commitment, but I don't think you would regret it.

Excellent, thank you for the summary!

nevets 07-02-2016 10:56 AM

Question for CrazyCobraManTim...

I just got the ALCON a couple days ago and it looks like the state has officially stood up the Maritime unit and will be recruiting soon. I know that OPSEC is a factor, but can you give us any details on missions, MOS's, training, etc...

I might be filling out the interest card soon, but want to find out as much as I can first and I'm sure a lot of the guys reading this thread do too. Thanks for the help!

CrazyCobraManTim 07-02-2016 12:33 PM

Well - there are a number of missions being considered and discussed. Like the Guard - it will have both military and civil support missions. But we will likely do some additional things beyond what the CANG current does. I don't want to publicly state any of the items being discussed, as some might not come to pass. And I don't want to dash anyone's hopes.

If you are interested - I'd recommend you still go through the link, state your desire to learn more, and input your skill sets. The CAPT & team will be going thru all candidates.

Happy 4th!!!

CrazyCobraManTim 04-20-2017 7:37 PM

FYI - the state Officially activated the California Maritime
regiment aboard the USS Hornet several weeks Ago. NOW is
The time for Sailors, coast guard and Marines to consider
Service. 4 to 100 in a month!!


Oohrah / Hooyah!!

nuocmua 05-03-2017 11:50 AM

Yes Sir!

Now is the time to consider Service with the California Maritime Regiment. Here at the units in NorCal we are offering training and certification in OPSEC, Maritime operation and security skills and soon Cybersecurity

We are in search of those Ready to Serve!

Hooyah!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCobraManTim (Post 19992856)
FYI - the state Officially activated the California Maritime
regiment aboard the USS Hornet several weeks Ago. NOW is
The time for Sailors, coast guard and Marines to comsider
Service. 4 to 100 in a month!!


Oohrah / Hooyah!!


anavaet 06-06-2017 10:25 AM

Benefits
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuocmua (Post 20047820)
Yes Sir!

Now is the time to consider Service with the California Maritime Regiment. Here at the units in NorCal we are offering training and certification in OPSEC, Maritime operation and security skills and soon Cybersecurity

We are in search of those Ready to Serve!

Hooyah!


Since this is a volunteer program, what benefits are there to the state reservists i.e. VA home loans, GI Bill, USAA?

amishfarmer 06-07-2017 9:18 AM

Sooo since I've retired USAF I've been looking for a job where I can serve and part of something bigger than myself again. Is there any opportunities for a retired E-6 Aircraft Mechanic?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.