Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   FFL's Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Manufacturing 80% Lowers (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=702874)

Colonel Monk 02-13-2013 6:33 AM

Manufacturing 80% Lowers

Howdy:

As we are all aware, there's quite a shortage of lower receivers and all else at the moment.

There is also a giant shortage of 80% lower manufacturers.

What are the legal issues of manufacturing 80 lowers?

My biz partner and I have a friend with a medium-sized, high precision CNC facility in CA. They are really slow at the moment, and most of their CNC mills are idle.

We've been talking about making a run of 80% lowers to satisfy the market. We have 3 different receiver drawings as well as the CAD model files that everyone else interested in this kind of thing already has.

So the question is, since it's not a firearm machined to 80%, is there any other kind of issues with just manufacturing "parts for sale"?

Thanks,

CM

Sig226 02-13-2013 8:06 AM

Most "80%" manufacturers get a letter from the ATF ruling that their part is not a firearm according to the GCA.

Is this required by law, no. Is it a good idea, yes.

I'm not sure what shop time will cost you, but I recently have been looking into the same. The conclusion I came to RE 100% billet lowers was that the price point was un-attainable unless the shop is going to run their equipment in off-time for you, using an "off-time" rate. (This is what I gather most Billet 80% manufacturers are doing to get to their respective price points.)

How are you planning on completing the magwells?

if you would like to discuss specifics in PM, hit me up.

glbtrottr 02-13-2013 8:35 AM

KTO was raided by the government for not having a letter on 80% lowers. The case was never prosecuted because the idiots at ATF had an overbroad reach on Title 18.

It is always prudent to get a letter from ATF.

Everyone seems to be getting in the 80% market, but keeping it price competitive is the trick*

Colonel Monk 02-13-2013 9:28 AM

Thanks for the info - I had a few PMs stating the same regarding the ATF letter - that's a good idea...

Yes, I have my doubts about hitting the right price point, and agree with you 100% that if we were to approach this shop (or most any shop) without an in, it would simply be too expensive.

But, since we do have a friendly in, their machines are idle, and market value of an 80% is substantially higher these days, perhaps we can strike a deal.

Magwells - a friend of mine mentioned that as well. I know that the sharp corners are broached, but as far as a "special" broach being required for the job I'm not sure. I do know that a good size machine shop (especially one that does volume for aerospace) should be no stranger to specialized tools. They also have a full EDM shop there with wire and sinker EDMs. I guess we will have to talk to them to find out what's required.

CM

Colonel Monk 02-13-2013 9:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glbtrottr (Post 10520469)
KTO was raided by the government for not having a letter on 80% lowers. The case was never prosecuted because the idiots at ATF had an overbroad reach on Title 18.

It is always prudent to get a letter from ATF.

Everyone seems to be getting in the 80% market, but keeping it price competitive is the trick*

Indeed. We are going to investigate the possibility, that's all.

For a long-term solution they would not be able to do this for us - the fact that they've got 25 expensive machine centers idle and need to pay employees might get us the opportunity.

Then again, if it takes as long as I've heard to get the letter it might be all over by then.

Regards,

CM

AVID HUNTER 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Monk (Post 10520963)
Indeed. We are going to investigate the possibility, that's all.

For a long-term solution they would not be able to do this for us - the fact that they've got 25 expensive machine centers idle and need to pay employees might get us the opportunity.

Then again, if it takes as long as I've heard to get the letter it might be all over by then.

Regards,

CM

You could work a deal with Quentin Defense and use their ATF letter as well as their programs and give them a fee for each paperweight you blow out. This would get you in the market immediately and save huge in costs of duplicating the paperwieght. Just an idea. Work smarter not harder.

Toby's Tactical 02-13-2013 6:16 PM

Make 80% while you work on licensing the place and then crank out complete units. There will always be a market.

Colonel Monk 02-14-2013 7:09 AM

I sent an email to Quentin to see what that's about.

Toby, makes sense to me.

Toby's Tactical 02-14-2013 7:25 AM

If you need help getting licensed see the main thread or email me for help. I have 07 FFL and SOT. Still working on Dangerous Weapons Permits...

WieDonE 02-19-2013 4:26 PM

Make the Quentin Defense if you can!:thumbsup:

Colonel Monk 02-21-2013 5:07 PM

I have contacted them, but no reply as of yet.

I'm not too surprised, seems everyone (including us) is retarded busy right now.

CM

Lovetobuild 03-06-2013 9:31 AM

Really there are none but people have a hard not talking guns when they talk 80s as they have nothing to do with one another in the law.
Anyway I just had to buy a CNC to make them so I went to ATF and they said it not a gun so we don't care.
If you need 80s you can go to www.80receiver.com they are in stock will ship in 7 days or less
I am also doing build parties as well

Jeepers 03-08-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lovetobuild (Post 10730821)
Really there are none but people have a hard not talking guns when they talk 80s as they have nothing to do with one another in the law.
Anyway I just had to buy a CNC to make them so I went to ATF and they said it not a gun so we don't care.
If you need 80s you can go to www.80receiver.com they are in stock will ship in 7 days or less
I am also doing build parties as well

So you went to BATFE tech branch in West Virginia ?:confused:
they usually take 6 months to a year so you must have some good friends in West Virginia to get you passed and give you there determination letter so quick ....:rolleyes:

efillc 03-14-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepers (Post 10758309)
So you went to BATFE tech branch in West Virginia ?:confused:
they usually take 6 months to a year so you must have some good friends in West Virginia to get you passed and give you there determination letter so quick ....:rolleyes:

Mine are taking 4-5 months on average. Or, since 244 Needy Road is just around the corner from me, maybe your mail is just slow. :D