Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Curio & Relic/Black Powder (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   **got it** (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=658825)

partisan39 12-18-2012 6:24 PM

**got it**

found the part

GOEX FFF 12-18-2012 8:57 PM

Pretty Revolver.

I'm sure as you know, each revolver and their parts were hand fitted to the specific piece. So even if you do find an original cylinder, you'll probably have to do some fitting, timing..etc on it yourself.

You can try for original parts here -

http://www.coltparts.com/pt_51navy.html

partisan39 12-18-2012 10:01 PM

Thanks GOEX FFFG ... I called Coltparts a while back and they only later production BP Colt parts, not the old stuff I was looking for. The screws and small parts they carry would fit. I can do the fitting or send to a friend if it exceeded my gunsmith abilities. I'd be happy to if I found suitable used parts for this old Navy model. Hoping to find some grubby old parts instead.

P39

TANK1135 12-19-2012 2:48 AM

Did you try Numrich Arms it looks like they have the cylinder.

partisan39 12-19-2012 7:48 AM

I tried them earlier in the year. I told them my Colt was an antique and they didn't have the cylinder. I will check with them again today. Thanks! Wm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TANK1135 (Post 9956798)
Did you try Numrich Arms it looks like they have the cylinder.

partisan39 12-23-2012 11:06 AM

Bump

scrat 12-24-2012 2:58 PM

vti gunparts. make a call like you have may have to do some fitting like others said

partisan39 12-24-2012 3:51 PM

Replica cylinder

Hi Scrat,

I deal with VTI and they are nice folks. I already have both Pietta & Uberti 1851 Navy replica cylinders here from previous projects but I really hope to find an original Colt manufactured cylinder from the original production from 1851 to 1873. I hope to keep the revolver all Colt original. I have three 51 replicas. Thanks for info.

Wm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrat (Post 10007335)
vti gunparts. make a call like you have may have to do some fitting like others said

partisan39 01-06-2013 8:54 AM

BUMP

scrat 01-06-2013 10:44 AM

Going to be hard on a london but here you go some other sources
http://www.coltparts.com/pt_51navy.html

Keep in mind this original navy london sold for 875 all complete.
http://www.horsesoldier.com/products.../handguns/1874

http://www.partsforantiqueguns.com/armynavdra.html

partisan39 01-09-2013 10:05 AM

bump

partisan39 02-05-2013 10:41 AM

bump

eightmd 02-05-2013 10:51 AM

Sorry I can't help you but I'm curious, so I'll ask. I have a navy colt in 36 cal. like that one which my great (great?) grandfather used in the civil war. Its got some use but could probably still fire. I wouldn't try it without going through it first and using a light load. But I'm wondering what it is worth. I got one quote from a collector and I'm just wonder what you thinkg the ball park range is since you seem to have some knowledge about them. Its a navy colt with almost none of the engraving left on the cylinder through holster wear, etc...
Just wondering if you could hazzard a guess without seeing it.
Sorry for the hijack.

partisan39 02-05-2013 11:31 AM

Colt 1851 Navy value

I have a Colt dates of manufacture book and it has all of the production numbers for years these were produced. Your serial number would determine what year it was made. Also, determining whether or not it was refinished affects the value of the revolver. There are tons of replicas out there made in Italy and also by Colt. There is also Proxibid & gunsamerica which shows what comparable original 51's are selling for on auction.

Without the information about your Navy model, photos would be very helpful too, it would be near impossible to determine a value for your gun. There is a whole book just on the differences of all the 51 Navy varieties so it's tough to give you a value without info on your specific gun.

Wm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightmd (Post 10433509)
Sorry I can't help you but I'm curious, so I'll ask. I have a navy colt in 36 cal. like that one which my great (great?) grandfather used in the civil war. Its got some use but could probably still fire. I wouldn't try it without going through it first and using a light load. But I'm wondering what it is worth. I got one quote from a collector and I'm just wonder what you thinkg the ball park range is since you seem to have some knowledge about them. Its a navy colt with almost none of the engraving left on the cylinder through holster wear, etc...
Just wondering if you could hazzard a guess without seeing it.
Sorry for the hijack.

partisan39 02-12-2013 5:36 PM

bump

freonr22 02-12-2013 5:40 PM

Is this some thing the jack first company may have? Tou jave to call them they dont have ane store...

Robin47 02-12-2013 7:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by partisan39 (Post 10514309)
bump

Try "Dixie gun works" Google it and you can find them.
They have original parts for BP's last time I looked.

Robin47 :)

partisan39 02-15-2013 10:43 AM

I've dealt Dixie & Jack First before and just called them again about the original antique cylinder to be sure. I guess the consensus is no one stocks antique parts for these guns. All Dixie has is a Uberti reproduction cylinder which I already have one here. I have a spare parts box with all the parts they sell for Colt replica Uberti's & Pietta's too. My only hope is some private collector who might have come across one. Numrich has a Colt made new production 1851 Navy cylinder available but it would be shame to put a new cylinder on this old girl.

sportstop58 06-17-2013 11:07 PM

hello partisan39, i have a 1851 navy with brass backstrap and the cylinder is intact! serial number is 1192986 i do not know what the year of manufacture is and almost nothing about its history, except that it is a family heirloom passed down thru my great grandfather. i am 55 so it goes back a ways. the screws are original and most are intact. if you are interested i will send you some high resolution digital photos of it. i have no idea what it would be worth, but i am willing to part it out to the right person, thanks, AL

Geologyjohn 06-18-2013 6:50 PM

Al, are you sure about that serial number? I think that you may have accidentally added an extra "1" to the start of the serial number because Colt did not make 1851 Navy's in the one million serial number range. However, if the serial number is actually "192986" then your pistol was made in 1866. I have owned a few of these over the years (I'm a bit older than you) and they are among my favorite pistols. Can you send me a picture of yours? I always have room for one more.

Tom-ADC 06-18-2013 7:48 PM

Drop Gary. Email he may have what you are looking for good guy to deal with

http://cartridgeconversion.com/

partisan39 06-20-2013 1:05 PM

Cylinder for my Colt 1851 Navy

Hi Al,

Thanks for your posting. I've been away from Calguns for a few days. Please do send me some high resolution pics of what you got. PM me and I'll send you my email address or you can also post the pics in a PM to me. It would be nice to my old Colt 51 back together and entirely with antique Colt parts. I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,
~Wm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportstop58 (Post 11612012)
hello partisan39, i have a 1851 navy with brass backstrap and the cylinder is intact! serial number is 1192986 i do not know what the year of manufacture is and almost nothing about its history, except that it is a family heirloom passed down thru my great grandfather. i am 55 so it goes back a ways. the screws are original and most are intact. if you are interested i will send you some high resolution digital photos of it. i have no idea what it would be worth, but i am willing to part it out to the right person, thanks, AL